Why does Handbrake not allow cropping?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tech198

Why does Handbrake not allow cropping?

Post by Tech198 »

I've come across several issues about Handbrake looks at the source at find it "lower" .. Then i start seeing no matter what user does than cannot get higher than what Handbrake "sees" the source as..

My question is why not ?

If the cropping is set by the use as all "0" for example, then why are you not left with the actual resolution, only a resolution the user has control over but only up to Handbrakes source, which is not the actual source is. The only exception i have come across is some re-muxes like 'Back to the future" which after running through Handbrake is exactly 1920x1080 preserved..

Where is that missing "link" ?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Why does Handbrake not allow cropping?

Post by mduell »

What the [Censored] are you talking about? HB allows cropping.

Are you claiming HB is misdetecting the source resolution? Can you point to the relevant support threads?

0 cropping on all sides will give you the same resolution as the source, net of any user choices with respect to anamorphic.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Better yet, supply an activity log demonstrating your problem so we can diagnose your issue for you.
Tech198

Post by Tech198 »

mduell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 pm Can you point to the relevant support threads?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36495&p=171725&hili ... ng#p171725

What I mean is while u can manually adjust cropping to "0" which means no cropping, even with anamorphic "off" you can still only get the "source" up to that reported by handbrake when it scanned it in, which is gonna be lower than the actual DVD when u play it directly, and likewise whatever source is reported the user can adjust resolution only up to that,, no higher

This is what i am talking about... Where is that missing link as to why Handbrake reports it (by default) at a lower resolution that u can only adjust up to ?

This does not equal to remuxes like "back to the future" in mp4, and (m4v after Handbrake has done its job) which "stays the same at 1920x1080" Handbrake does not change this resolution... while other source resolutions are *lowed* upon scanning.

Why is this?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The support request you link to is clearly resolved as a non-problem where the user didn't understand the characteristics of their source.

So please supply your own activity log so we can tell you what you are doing wrong.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Tech198 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 pmWhat I mean is while u can manually adjust cropping to "0" which means no cropping, even with anamorphic "off" you can still only get the "source" up to that reported by handbrake when it scanned it in, which is gonna be lower than the actual DVD when u play it directly, and likewise whatever source is reported the user can adjust resolution only up to that,, no higher
HB with 0 cropping gives you the same output resolution as the source. The DVD is not higher resolution than HB reports.
Tech198 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 pmThis is what i am talking about... Where is that missing link as to why Handbrake reports it (by default) at a lower resolution that u can only adjust up to ?
HB reports the full resolution of the source.
Tech198 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 pmThis does not equal to remuxes like "back to the future" in mp4, and (m4v after Handbrake has done its job) which "stays the same at 1920x1080" Handbrake does not change this resolution... while other source resolutions are *lowed* upon scanning.
Useless black bars are they only thing removed by default upon scanning. You can restore them to their useless glory by stetting cropping to 0.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Maybe the poster is talking about anamorphic "display dimensions"... Of course, failing to provide any activity logs, we can only guess at the real question, let alone think about the answer.
Tech198

Post by Tech198 »

https://pastebin.com/CGxXgWeA

Yes, sorry i mean Display dimensions..'
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The Graphic User Interface (GUI) does not do "upscaling".

Your video source appears to be a PAL DVD, which uses letterboxing (black bars) to map a 1.77 display ratio movie into the DVD's 720x576 resolution. Only 720x406 carries actual picture information, and pixels are 1:1 dimensionally (no anamorphic scaling in use), so the display size would be that same 720x406, after cropping off the letterbox bars. And the GUI used that dimension in the output

UNLESS you go to the command line version (CLI, separate download), you cannot make the output larger than the input.

Some DVDs (not this one, apparently) will use the full vertical resolution, and make the pixels wider than they are high; in these cases, the GUI will show you the "display resolution" being wider than the storage resolution.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I think the issue is that cropping is being set to 0 but the picture size is still being reduced.

It seems that auto-cropping is detecting black bars and thus changing the resolution. Cropping is then set to 0 but the resolution is not updating.

I would suggest creating a preset with cropping = 0 then set that as your default, then open your source.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

@Woodstock, *all* DVD video is anamorphic. When played back by a player, 16:9 video is stretched horizontally (wide pixels) and 4:3 video is stretched vertically (tall pixels).

The DAR and PAR for the source can be seen in the scan log

Code: Select all

[14:24:48] scan: 10 previews, 720x576, 25.000 fps, autocrop = 74/76/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 64:45
So in this case, the source is actually 16:9 (wide pixels). The user chose to convert the video to non-anamorphic PAR 1:1

Code: Select all

[14:24:48]    + Output geometry
[14:24:48]      + storage dimensions: 720 x 406
[14:24:48]      + pixel aspect ratio: 1 : 1
[14:24:48]      + display dimensions: 720 x 406
When converting to 1:1 PAR, to keep the correct display aspect, you must either increase the width to 720 * 64 / 45 = 1024 or decrease the height to 576 * 45 / 64 = 405. Since the HandBrake GUI doesn't allow upscaling, it has to decrease the height to 405, which it rounds up to an even pixel value of 406.

If you want to keep the exact same dimensions, don't use non-anamorphic mode. Non-anamorphic mode always requires scaling when the source is anamorphic.