Trade file size for encoding time while maintaining quality?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
cK1

Trade file size for encoding time while maintaining quality?

Post by cK1 »

Hi all!

Sorry if this may sound really dumb, as I'm not very knowledgeable in this matters, but is it possible somehow to reduce encoding time at the expense of file size (of the resulting file) while maintaining a high quality level (like the preset HQ1080p30) ?

Case example: I have a large TS file that would take me about 6 hours to encode with this preset, and would result in a 7 GB file. Now what I would like *ideally* is to reduce encoding time in half while producing a file that is twice as large, while keeping this quality... or is that too crazy? :oops:
BradleyS

Re: Trade file size for encoding time while maintaining quality?

Post by BradleyS »

Sure. Choose a fast encoder preset, like x264's veryfast, and increase the quality (lower the RF).
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Trade file size for encoding time while maintaining quality?

Post by mduell »

Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Gotta see those logs to see if/how the encode could be sped up. Bradley's advice could be spot on or worthless depending on your source/filtering/etc. That's why it's in bold underlined red text on a pink background at the top of every page.