X265 Encoder Presets

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Butcher9_9

X265 Encoder Presets

Post by Butcher9_9 »

Hi Guys

I have been Re-encoding a large part of my library into x265 to save space (HDD capacity is not going up fast enough :( )

Anyway, I have been using RF 19 for 720p, 20 for 1080p and 21 for 2160p and I'm happy with the file size and quality for the most part however I have been trying to figure out which Encoder preset to use (was using Slow and moved to Medium to save time) . I started off by encoding the first 5 minutes (to save time) of a 2160p, 1080p, 720p X264 file using the same same setting but with each preset . I was expecting that the file size would decrease with each step from Ultra Fast towards Placebo however the inverse was true and the file size increased.

So I thought that maybe there was a greater overhead for the higher presets (more patterns to keep track of ect) which was off setting the size decrease give the short file length. So I thought I would run the tests again with 5, 10 and 30 Minute clips and try a file that compressed well and one that did not compress as well however the results so far seems to be the same (almost finished the first 2160p file 5 days later, 2160p Vslow takes forever)

Is my understanding of the RF to Encoder Presets incorrect?

I thought that RF was the quality target while the encoder preset was number of permutations the encoder used to find the optimal encode.
Deleted User 13735

Re: X265 Encoder Presets

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I was expecting that the file size would decrease with each step from Ultra Fast towards Placebo however the inverse was true and the file size increased.
Why were you expecting that?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Butcher9_9 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:07 amIs my understanding of the RF to Encoder Presets incorrect?

I thought that RF was the quality target while the encoder preset was number of permutations the encoder used to find the optimal encode.
Totally incorrect. Has been covered many times in these forums. That's why the instructions linked to in bold underlined text on a pink background at the top of the page say read before posting.
halilnevzat
New User

Post by halilnevzat »

can you share your params for 720p 1080p and 2160 p ???