Adding chapter markers slows down decode in android

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
zdman

Adding chapter markers slows down decode in android

Post by zdman »

Ok registered just to post this oddity. If I encode a video using 1.0.7 from a dvd mkv and choose to include chapter markers the CPU utilisation in Android is much higher (like 5 times) than without chapter markers. I noticed this on my Dell which is an intel chipset at first because of sluggish performance and thought it was specific to x86 but tried it on my wifes Samsung (which is using the Exynos 7870) and saw the same thing. Now changing any encoder settings doesn't seem to make any difference but if anyone wants to try reproduce the fast 1080p preset is a good place to start. As soon a file has more than 1 chapter the CPU usage goes up dramatically. Probably more an android thing than a Hanbrake problem (as windows CPU utilisation does not change) but I was curios to know if anyone had encountered something similar?

Ok here's the log file for the super slow decode (all I did was add chapter markers)
https://pastebin.com/HYtVdgAj

And here's the one for the normal decode speed (no chapter markers)
https://pastebin.com/5nXEchdd

Adding chapter markers is the only change
Last edited by zdman on Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zdman

Re: Adding chapter markers slows down decode in android

Post by zdman »

Sorry forgot to add. I used MX player, VLC and Moboplayer and they all showed an increase. The difference was larger if hardware decoding was used so the file with chapters was closer to a software decode while the one without chapters dropped off to almost no cpu usage.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
zdman

Post by zdman »

Thought I would get this question (I did notice the big red banner at the top). Unfortunately they're at home and I'm at work so it'll be a day before I can post them. This really isn't a support query though just asking if anyone can reproduce.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

That's cool, just edit your post with a placeholder then post them when you have them.
zdman

Post by zdman »

Ok added to the original post.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Looking at the two files and removing the time stamps, there is no change in other settings besides the inclusion of chapter markers.

One thing I do notice is that "Mp4Optimize" is turned off, which means the index of the mp4 is not all at the front of the file.

Do you still have the high CPU usage if you check "Web Optimized" on the output settings?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

zdman wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 pmThis really isn't a support query though just asking if anyone can reproduce.
Then I guess we won't support your query.
zdman

Post by zdman »

Web optimized has no effect. I'm beginning to think its Android related as its a problem on Kitkat and Lollipop but I tried on my S5 which is Marshmallow and its fine. @mduell, actually just trying to help really, I sorted the problem for myself by turning off chapters as I don't need them and could happily continue on my way but thought it would be helpful to others as it could be affecting them without them knowing.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

TBH, it really sounds like a bug in whichever playback software you're using, since there's nothing about the few kilobytes of data that is the chapters track which would affect decoding of the video track.
zdman

Post by zdman »

I'm thinking Android because its present in VLC, MX Player, Mobo Player and the Samsung default player and on multiple devices (dell, lenovo, samsung) (not Mashmallow ones though). I agree there should be no difference but for some reason there is. I also think this has nothing to do with Handbrake either because I've noticed the same thing with mkv files created from dvd (just picked this up). What I am curious about is whether others can reproduce the problem. I actually think there are many people experiecing higher than normal battery drain in Android without knowing (you only notice the slugishness in MX Player) as most aren't turning on CPU usage statistics.