Automatically setting Title Tag to basename of Destination filename

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
bgoodr
New User

Automatically setting Title Tag to basename of Destination filename

Post by bgoodr »

Activity log: http://pastebin.com/BAA0HzzU
(Activity log is midway through a queue of several chapters being ripped from the same DVD).

I am ripping a DVD. I have to manually choose which chapters to use, so no truly automatic way to do that (probably not true, as I can find the range of chapter numbers) However, when I do chose a given chapter, and manually change the filename, what happens is that HandBrake automatically chooses the Title tag to be from something else in the source (I guess by default it uses a {source} for the title which doesn't help me much). What I would like it to do is by default to just use the filename for the Title tag. Is there a way to tell HandBrake to be in a mode where it does just that and not do what it currently does?

As an added bonus, I would like it to rip out the file extension (e.g., not include the ".m4v" part) in the title tag. But, that is not really as important as not having to keep updating the Title tag each time I select a new chapter.

The reason I need that is that it is cumbersome to have to type it twice, once in the filename and then copy/paste that filename into Title Tag field, and then backspace over the file extension. If it was once per DVD, that would be fine, but there are 8 separate chapters in this particular DVD that I need to have written out to separate files, and that is quite tedious. If the number of chapters grows to a large number, then this becomes pretty much a blocker.

Here is an annotated screenshot of the parts in the GUI that I'm talking about:

Begin TL/DR section:

Granted, you could say, "Well, why don't you use the CLI?" and I would say "Sure". However, how do I get Handbrake to dump out a UNIX-compatible shell command line to run the handbrake-cli executable with ALL of the settings of what I just selected, including the Title tag and all of the values of video and audio settings for this particular rip (by the way I'm using just the defaults with no fiddling)? I combed the docs and did not find a way. Apparently there is some JSON file that can be used, but it is not obvious how I can feed the JSON for a given rip item back into the CLI to have it rerun. If I could do so then I would be happy to just copy/paste/modify the JSON result 8 times with 8 modifications (I could even script it and be a real happy camper).

Thanks,
-bgoodr