re:settings

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
newvideoguy

re:settings

Post by newvideoguy »

I am basically new to this, I did some searching and some people have said to use handbrake to help with videos in editing software from lagging( which is the whole reason for me trying this). I have no idea what settings to use, the video i saw only mentioned to change the constant quality from 22(which is what its automatically set at) to 30.

with all the settings when i load a video, they match the settings on the video itself...so i am going to go out on a limp and predict to leave everything as it is. here are settings for a video

total bitrate 9017kbps
1920 by 1080
FPS 29.97
video codec h.264(x264)

should i select constant framerate and have 29.97 instead of 30 above , should i have 29 has the constant quality too? I noticed under "optimise video" there is a encoder preset. would it be recommended for me to set that to "very slow"?

also under quality there is avg bitrate, if i wanted to select that option would put the total bitrate number in there so example above 9017?

I am really sorry for all the questions but i just want to be sure since well like i said before i am very new to all of this. I hope someone can write back with the simplest answers as possible....dont use big fancy words...what i am asking just needs simple answers
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: re:settings

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

What do you mean by "lagging"? Is your computer too slow to playback the captured video or another issue? Many editing apps let you convert the video to a "proxy" format so editing is faster.
newvideoguy

Post by newvideoguy »

im surprised you asked what lagging means but its basically when a video or something is going slower than normally. And its not my computer since some random videos online go at normal speed. and I am more interested in finding the right settings or recommended settings for handbrake so I hope someone can reply with the right or recommended settings to try
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

newvideoguy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:09 pm im surprised you asked what lagging means but its basically when a video or something is going slower than normally. And its not my computer since some random videos online go at normal speed. and I am more interested in finding the right settings or recommended settings for handbrake so I hope someone can reply with the right or recommended settings to try
Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Going slower as in your computer is not powerful enough to decode it in real time or going slow as in your editor slows it?
Anyway, using a proxy format is a better solution than recompressing things with HandBrake.
newvideoguy

Post by newvideoguy »

i have taken random videos from online and tried them in the editor and they go at their normal speed. my computer is quite powerful so its just a matter of finding the right settings or recommended settings. So I am not interested in using a proxy.....once again i would like the best recommendations for the video settings in handbrake. If no one is going to reply with settings to try then I assume no one knows the best settings to avoid this issue....

If you are not going to write some best video settings recommendations for handbrake ... it makes sense not to make a reply well to me it does anyway
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

newvideoguy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:55 am once again i would like the best recommendations for the video settings in handbrake.
To do this we need to see your logs.

Instructions can be found here: