Documentation Forum

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
ric_evans

Documentation Forum

Post by ric_evans »

Hi,

I am new to Ripping and new to Handbrake. Thus I rely heavily on the documentation. Which I am sad to say I find superficial.

I came to the forum to do some reading on the current state of the development of the documentation. All I found was a link back to the documentation. I am very surprised that there is no forum specific to the documentation.

I submit my vote for a forum/board or whatever you call it, on this site specific to the documentation.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Documentation Forum

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Ive done some technical writing, and the changes that have occurred since 0.9.5 alone would take hundreds of hours to document and interleave with the existing docs. It's a fact of any ongoing project.

Seeing that this is a 100% volunteer project, perhaps you would have some time to contribute to the effort?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

ric_evans wrote: I submit my vote for a forum/board or whatever you call it, on this site specific to the documentation.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, if you have a question that is not in the documentation just post in the forum.

Documentation sucks, that's why no one wants to do it :)
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

There is a separate project on GitHub for the documentation: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake-docs
I'll a better explanation to BradleyS :)
ric_evans

Post by ric_evans »

All of you have missed my point, in order to produce better documentation, there needs to be a place to discuss the documentation. That is the point I was making. Nobody has addressed it.

musicvid: You want me a beginner in ripping and Handbrake to contribute to the documentation! No wonder the documentation is so superficial. You get beginners to write it.

rollin_eng: Documentation does not suck, it is how people learn how to use an application. Software Engineer's suck because they do not like producing documentation. I speak as a retired (16 years, ago due to ill-health) Software Engineer.

Rituska: Yes I was aware of the git project, but it has no forum or wiki to discuss documentation. In fact I followed a link from it, to get here, and found no forum dedicated to producing documentation. Which is why I made the first post.

I guess what it comes down to is somebody taking ownership, from the responses I've had, I cannot see that happening.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

ric_evans wrote: rollin_eng: Documentation does not suck, it is how people learn how to use an application. Software Engineer's suck because they do not like producing documentation. I speak as a retired (16 years, ago due to ill-health) Software Engineer.

I guess what it comes down to is somebody taking ownership, from the responses I've had, I cannot see that happening.
To clarify, I didn't mean having documentation sucks, I meant writing it sucks :)

BradleyS has done a lot on this, but as mentioned it is a volunteer project so it will be done when its done.

If you want to discus the documentation post away in the General or Tiki Bar.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You can create issues on GitHub on each topic you feel needs to be expanded.