Subtitles for The Longest Day from MKV

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Coelacanth64

Subtitles for The Longest Day from MKV

Post by Coelacanth64 »

Folks,
I'm having on heck of a time getting the English subtitles to add during the German language sections of the film.
I've tried Foreign Audio/Forced and Foreign Audio/Burned In, but neither seems to work.
The subtitles appear fine in the MKV version.
Thoughts?

:roll:
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles for The Longest Day from MKV

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
mrzoop
New User

Post by mrzoop »

Yup - I've been trying to figure this out for years. You do not need SUBTITLES for the non-english parts in The Longest Day. They are actually burned into the film as it's being played. I finally figured out that Handbrake is CROPPING them out of the frame on screen. To fix this all you have to do is ... Open the >Picture tab, choose >Cropping >Custom >Then set the >Top and >Bottom to a small number like 0-1-2-3-4. That's it. Rip chapter 3 or 4 as a test. The Subtitles should be in the usual place under the film on screen.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The Bluray version has English subtitles for the German/French subtitles burned in also, but they're inside the picture area, unlike the DVD. And they do not translate ALL of the non-English speech, just the important highlights.