Best possible settings for VR?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
VR-Guy

Best possible settings for VR?

Post by VR-Guy »

I would like to know the best settings for VR "movies" (lets call them movies for adults ^^). I want them to be smaller in file size and remain the quality so I guess I will need to use HEVC / H.265 which I am fine since all my devices support hardware decoding. I read this guide which basically says I should use x265 Medium and QF 23. But that is for 1080p movies, those VR "movies" are like 3200x1600, 3400x1700, 2160p etc.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Best possible settings for VR?

Post by mduell »

For the higher res content I'd use a slightly higher RF (lower quality per pixel needed), and the slowest x265 preset you can tolerate the encoding time of.
VR-Guy

Post by VR-Guy »

But does this also apply to VR content which will be viewed really close / zoomed compared to 1080p or 2160p content on a 55 inch TV with 2-3 meters of distance view?

The files I have are not on BluRay but from the creators website so they are already encoded in H.264 and not "lossless" like BluRays. Does this matter or influence which CRF I should choose?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

VR-Guy wrote:But does this also apply to VR content which will be viewed really close / zoomed compared to 1080p or 2160p content on a 55 inch TV with 2-3 meters of distance view?
Yes. As always, your personal preferences may dictate higher or lower quality settings, this is general advice.
VR-Guy wrote:The files I have are not on BluRay but from the creators website so they are already encoded in H.264 and not "lossless" like BluRays. Does this matter or influence which CRF I should choose?
BluRay are generally H.264 encoded and certainly not lossless. It doesn't change the recommended RF.
VR-Guy

Post by VR-Guy »

Thank you for answering my questions, will try some settings out (QF 23-24 and x265 Slow/Medium/Fast).
VR-Guy

Post by VR-Guy »

With QF 22-24 on medium settings it loses skin details, with QF 18-20 it is less noticable when focusing on them. This was an encode of a VR video with 3840x1920 180° 3D SBS. Because it is 3D the resolution per eye is only 1920x1920. And while watching these videos in VR it is not possible to see all footage but only a section because it is 180° and FoV of the VR headsets is less. I think QF 14-16 would be the the optimal setting without making the file bigger than it needs to.

(Or am I just wrong and it doesnt matter if it is 3D SBS and it is only possible to watch a part of the VR video? Does this have any effect?)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You're right, you need a higher quality setting (lower RF) when you're effectively zoomed in on just a small portion of the video.