Handbrake Works fine - I just need a little help understanding my results

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
SFA-FCPX

Handbrake Works fine - I just need a little help understanding my results

Post by SFA-FCPX »

I've used HB to create m4v files from commercial DVDs that own. I want to stream these files from my NAS versus messing about with loading DVDs. The DVD format is .VOB. My two questions are:

1. The normal profile gives a video that seems noticeably pixelated, everything that moves in the videos has a jagged line for an edge. Nothing changes if you change the RF setting to give larger files. If I use the High Profile, the encode takes a lot longer, but the edges are not jagged. I don't understand enough to know why this is. I have tried reading the documentation. I don't understand enough to make sense of what I am reading. Could someone explain what is changing and what I could possible do to further improve my videos?

2. According to HB, the source is 720x480. When I play my DVDs on a 720p TV, they fill the screen, I can see they are being stretched sideways to do this. When I play my .m4v files they play with black on either side. I am using the same player to play both DVDs and files on the NAS. Is there a way to force the .m4v files to fill a the screen too?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake Works fine - I just need a little help understanding my results

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Yes, this applies to you.

Yes, this applies to you even though HB didn't crash.

Yes, this applies to you even though you didn't see an error message.

Yes, this applies to you even though you don't think theres a technical malfunction.

Yes, this applies to you even though you just want help understanding what you're seeing.

Yes, this applies to you even though you're just asking a "general" question about a specific encode.

Yes, this applies to you even though you deny you're making a support request when asking for support.

Yes, this applies to you even though you're asking other users for support rather than the HB organization.

Yes, this applies to you even though you think we're trying to see your personal information (file paths or whatever).

(Can you tell this is a recurring issue so severe they've put the rules at the top of every page in unmissable bold underlined red text on a pink background?)
SFA-FCPX

Post by SFA-FCPX »

Hello,

I apologize. I understood that an activity log was required if something was broken. I didn't understand that it was required any post asking a question. I copied my activity log to a pastebin as requested. Here is the link:

http://pastebin.com/rW2AbZu0
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

SFA-FCPX wrote:Hello,

I apologize. I understood that an activity log was required if something was broken. I didn't understand that it was required any post asking a question. I copied my activity log to a pastebin as requested. Here is the link:

http://pastebin.com/rW2AbZu0
"Any post asking a question" is a post requesting support.

SC
SFA-FCPX

Post by SFA-FCPX »

OK. I get that I made a mistake. I apologized. I did what was requested, I got the activity log. I opened a pastebin account and posted it. Instead of repeatedly telling me that I violated the rules, (yes, I am sorry), could I please get some help, an answer to my two questions if there are answers?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Jagged edges means your source video is interlaced, you need to enable the deinterlace filter. For the second question, check if there is an option on your player/tv, some have such options.
ddwrt

Post by ddwrt »

Your log says: " Title is likely interlaced or telecined (5 out of 10 previews). You should do something about that." Try to use different deinterlacing method. Or alternatively, try to turn off deinterlacing and turn on Detelecine. Go to "Filters", in the checkbox near the word "Deinterlace" choose "off", then choose "Default" near "Detelecine". If that doesn't work, then try to choose "Decomb" near the "Deinterlace", choose "Bob" preset. If that doesn't work, choose "EEDI2", if that doesn't work, then choose "EEDI2Bob". If that doesn't work, then try to choose other combination of presets/methods of deinterlacing, until it works. Interlacing is a really big problem with DVDs, sadly.
If I use the High Profile, the encode takes a lot longer, but the edges are not jagged. I don't understand enough to know why this is.
It is because the high profile has Decomb being turned on at default, while on the main profile it is turned off. By the way, if you use the presets the normal way (Main and High profile are in legacy now), does it mean that you still use the old version of Handbrake? Try to update to the new one (https://handbrake.fr/), or you may become confused with my explanations.

Oh, I didn't see that your post was from December, 19. The 1.0.0 version (or 1.0.1.) hasn't been released at that time yet, be free to update now. It also has Decomb filter being turned on at default with all (non legacy) presets.