Need Tips for Encoding to Play on Low-Spec PC.

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
myway_1
New User

Need Tips for Encoding to Play on Low-Spec PC.

Post by myway_1 »

Hi,

I want to play SD television shows that I have ripped from DVD's using MakeMKV.

My PC is an Intel Compute Stick. It has a modern Intel Atom z3735f 1.33 Ghz quad-core processor with integrated, current-generation Intel HD graphics and 1 MB of RAM.

I watch them on a 43" 1080p TV at a distance of 6 feet.

The files are in mpeg2 format in mkv container.

When I attempt play the videos with good quality rendering, deinterlacing and upscaling settings on my player, they are either slow or lag terribly and the audio and video are way out of sync. I assume this is because my PC isn't powerful enough to do all these things in real time.

So I need to prepare the videos as much as possible prior to playing using Handbrake or any other software that would serve my purpose. I would be okay with each file being up to 5 GB for a one hour show and taking up to 30 minutes to process each GB of video.

I would like to transcode, deinterlace, upscale and use one or two filters to improve picture quality. My PC can probably only handle one of these steps. Which of these steps (if any) should I leave to my PC?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Joe Lawson