Star Wars subtitles - now with commentary!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
DrMatt

Star Wars subtitles - now with commentary!

Post by DrMatt »

Hey, all,

I'm using Handbrake Version 0.9.1 on a Mac OS X 10.4.

I'm really happy HandBrake now has "Foced Subs only" for the scenes that need alien language translation (such a geek...) and I've also turned on "Autoselect" for the subtitles, but I'm also getting subtitles (at the TOP of the frame) that flashes (I'm guessing) the names of the commentators. I'm guessing this is coming from the commentary track.

Does anyone know how I can JUST get the language translations like in the straight-up normal movie?

Thanks!

-Matt
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Did you try just selecting the 1st English track?
DrMatt

Post by DrMatt »

I'm gathering you mean in the "Subtitles" pull down (next to the Forced sub selector)?

I'll give it a try...
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Correct
hokie17

Post by hokie17 »

Select the second English track, do NOT select forced only.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hokie17 wrote:Select the second English track, do NOT select forced only.
Why wouldn't he select forced only if thats all he wants.

Without looking at the DVD:

Typically you have 2 choices for what you want.

1. Select a "Pre"-Forced track and nothing else
-or-
2. The regular (non-commentary) track and choose Force Subs
hokie17

Post by hokie17 »

He would do it because he could test the Greedo chapter, as I did, and find that the second English track works.

Different strokes for different DVDs. :)
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Star Wars uses forced subtitles for the commentary track - which is weird.

And so autoselect will choose that track, which is wrong.

So you will have to select the track manually.

When you did the autoselect there would have been a summary in the log showing what subtitles were found for which track. That should give you some hints as to which track to enable and whether you want forced on or off.

Cheers, Ed.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

hokie17 wrote:He would do it because he could test the Greedo chapter, as I did, and find that the second English track works.

Different strokes for different DVDs. :)
That's what I did too. Can't recall now whether they were forced or not, and if they were forced what that means you miss should you disable forced.

Cheers, Ed.
frenchie16

It works for me…

Post by frenchie16 »

I tested the greedo scene as well. For some reason, forced subs makes the names of the commentators appear. Choose the second english track, without forced subs.

However, I have another problem- chapter titles. I enter all 50 chapter titles (which takes forever!) and then rip the movie. However, Handbrake skips where chapter 28 ("That's No Moon…") should be, and instead labels chapter 29 "That's No Moon", with no chapter marker where chapter 28 starts. All the subsequent chapter titles are pushed over one chapter as well, and the last chapter is not labeled "End Credits" as it should be, but "Medal Ceremony"! Any ideas? :shock:
frenchie16

Post by frenchie16 »

:P I think I solved my own problem! It seems that Handbrake just doesn't like the '…' character (the chapter in question was called "That's No Moon"), so I just used three periods ('...') instead. It's ripping now, we shall see what happens.
frenchie16

Wait- no

Post by frenchie16 »

Sorry to post so many times in a row. :oops:
It turns out that did not work. even without the elipsis (…) the problem continued. I am getting a bit frustrated- anyone else have this problem or a way around it?
hokie17

Post by hokie17 »

From my experience it's a problem with Handbrake encoding... only thing I can hope is that it gets fixed in the next version. I've noticed other movies, though none currently come to mind, where chapters are skipped.

I think Superman was one of them.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hokie17/frenchie16,

First of all, if you are having chapter issues then do a search and/or open a new thread. As this one has to do with Subtitles, not chapter issues.

<no hijacking>
hokie17

Post by hokie17 »

Just trying to answer his question...

Anyway, the second English subtitle works. Same goes for Return of the Jedi.