Adding subtitles only?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jqdunn
New User

Adding subtitles only?

Post by jqdunn »

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone knows if Handbrake can add subtitles to a video file without having to convert the entire video again. The video format is fine, I just want to softcode the srt into the actual file itself.

Anyone know if this possible??

Thank you. :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Adding subtitles only?

Post by s55 »

Fraid not
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Post by kpflugshaupt »

jqdunn wrote:Hello.
I was wondering if anyone knows if Handbrake can add subtitles to a video file without having to convert the entire video again. The video format is fine, I just want to softcode the srt into the actual file itself.

Anyone know if this possible??

Thank you. :D
Hello,

you need a remuxing tool for this. On Mac, I use Subler or MKVToolnix, depending on container type (mp4 vs. mkv).
On Windows, MP4Box has been mentioned in this forum, but I do not know it. MKVToolnix exists for Windows, too.

Kaspar
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

mkvtoolnix does exist for Windows, and for Linux as well.

Check your playback software, though - some do not support SRT particularly well. I've been finding that it is better to have handbrake burn the subtitles into the video if all I have is an SRT file.

If the subtitles are in SSA/ASS format, I found letting handbrake burn them in is MUCH better, because my hardware players get mightily confused by all the font changes and even translator comments embedded in SSA format.