Best Cropping Tool For HandBrake

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
MacK

Best Cropping Tool For HandBrake

Post by MacK »

This is a little off topic but I need a good free cropping program for HandBrake. I save my HandBrake clips as MP4 with good settings and they come out very clear but when I try to crop the section of the video I want to keep, the resulting video is a larger file size and not nearly as clear and crisp as the original. I've tried MS Movie Maker, Nero Video and VSDC Video Editor. All three work but the resulting cropped video is not very clear. Is there a video cropping program that will allow me to just crop the sections I do not want and just leave the part I want without trying to convert the video? I think it's the conversion process that is causing the deterioration of the resulting video clip. This is on a 64bit Win7 PC.

Thank you for the help.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Best Cropping Tool For HandBrake

Post by mduell »

HandBrake is best for cropping.

Post your log, you know the absolutely mandatory one required at in the bold underlined red text on a pink background at the top of the page, where you attempted cropping and had the bad result, as well as the same encode with no cropping, and we'll point out what you did wrong.
MacK

Post by MacK »

I have to apologize for using the wrong term. I said "Cropping" when I meant to say "Cutting". Since HandBrake worked fine and was not the problem, I didn't post my log. What I am actually looking for is a good program for "Cutting" (sometimes called Trimming) video. I need to cut about two minutes from the beginning and six minutes from the end of the video then save it. The programs I have tried all seem to want to reconvert the video before saving it and this process seems to noticeably degrade the video.

Should I re-post this question using the correct term "Cutting"? Thank you for your help.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

MacK wrote:I have to apologize for using the wrong term. I said "Cropping" when I meant to say "Cutting". Since HandBrake worked fine and was not the problem, I didn't post my log.
It worked fine... except you posted this thread about not liking the output... so it must not have worked fine? Also you'll note there's no exception in the bold underlined red text on a pink background for "I didn't think it was needed."
MacK wrote:What I am actually looking for is a good program for "Cutting" (sometimes called Trimming) video. I need to cut about two minutes from the beginning and six minutes from the end of the video then save it. The programs I have tried all seem to want to reconvert the video before saving it and this process seems to noticeably degrade the video.
HB can do that, change the chapters dropdown to seconds and put in whatever start and stop times you wnat.
MacK

Post by MacK »

I got a Pastebin account, pasted the log but didn't see where I could get the URL for that paste. The only URL I could see was the one at the top of the browser. Hope this is what you need. If not I'll try again. Sorry for my ignorance but I've never used Pastebin before.

http://pastebin.com/29f3u0Lq
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

That's a private paste, so we can't see it with that URL.
MacK

Post by MacK »

I reset it to Public, I didn't understand how it worked. Sorry I didn't get it right the first time, this is all new to me. Thank you mduel. I did as you suggested and changed the chapters dropdown to seconds. It worked fine.

http://pastebin.com/29f3u0Lq
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Great glad it worked.
obernegg

Post by obernegg »

mduell ! Thank you
change the chapters dropdown to seconds and put in whatever start and stop times you wnat.
since 2years of using Handbrake I was not aware of your detailed wiki on trimming via seconds instead of chapters https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/TitlesAndChapters#no1