HandBrake 0.10.5 Discussion Thread

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake 0.10.5 Discussion Thread

Post by mduell »

camilus wrote:couldn't you get around this by including a script that downloaded all the required sources and compiled them on the users computer? the same way nvidia/ati get their binary blobs into the linux kernel?

or host it in countries where it's not illegal or nobody cares?
Same answer I gave you on reddit:

Hosting solves none of the problem, they'll still be sued by any authors of GPL code in HB where the project/people are, not where the hosting is.

Compile instructions are available for all platforms. It's a bit more than a script, but you could write a script for your environment.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

couldn't you get around this by including a script that downloaded all the required sources and compiled them on the users computer?
Nope. It's not practical. Even compiling from source is sufficiently difficult it's beyond the vast majority of users.
or host it in countries where it's not illegal or nobody cares?
As mduell says. It's nothing to do with where it's hosted.

Violating peoples copyright will burn bridges with the very projects we work closely with. If we lose those ties, then HandBrake loses out too. Bugs won't get fixed. We won't be able to contribute new features etc.

End of the day. It's gone and it's not coming back unless FDK change their license which doesn't look like will ever happen.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

s55 wrote:End of the day. It's gone and it's not coming back unless FDK change their license which doesn't look like will ever happen.
Or the GPL developers revert to their previous understanding of the FDK license, where they were encouraging the adoption of FDK.
tbean

Post by tbean »

I'm currently using HandBrake 0.10.2 and have been using the default AAC codec, avcodec. Is that affected by the removal of FDK AAC?

If not, is there a better AAC coded than avcoded in HandBrake 0.10.5?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Nope, that's the [Censored] one we're left with.
tbean

Post by tbean »

What did I miss out on by never using the FDK AAC? Is it really that much better?
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

Rodeo wrote:
nhyone wrote:From Doom9's x265 thread, it seems like there is an issue with 2-pass x265? Has anyone encountered that?
Can you link it please?
Sorry for the late response.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1758217

And a few posts after that.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Oh, I assumed you meant a HandBrake-specific issue with x265 + 2-pass. If we are affected, then we'll get the fix when x265 fixes it and we update it in HandBrake.
ADE ANSOR
New User

Post by ADE ANSOR »

Not support VP9.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

ADE ANSOR wrote:Not support VP9.
Is this a statement or a question? If you have questions about VP9 support in HandBrake, try doing a forum search for "VP9". There has already been plenty of discussion on the topic.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

Where can I find the advanced query field? I don't see it anymore.

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

gmb wrote:Where can I find the advanced query field? I don't see it anymore.
You can enable it in options.

It's been disabled by default since it's mostly abused with misguided ideas and bad settings.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

At a guess, probably a bug in 0.10.5 sadly. It's not an issue in the nightly builds.
jhmmke

Post by jhmmke »

I am posting on this thread since I am using 0.10.5 and hadn't noticed this problem earlier. If you think I should be on another thread just say so and I'll move it over there.

My problem is, I have been converting to "MP4" for some time and when I do, I like to include all of the audio tracks and all of the subtitle tracks (but I don't want any "burned in"), so I set it up that way and saved it as my default preset. In the past, I could just cycle through quickly, and add all the videos on a particular DVD to the queue without having to look at anything. Just recently (possibly related to 0.10.5?) I am having some problems because Handbrake seems to always be checking a single subtitle to "burn in" after I load the DVD directory. Having to uncheck the "burn in" subtitle is a pain in the but and slows me down. Is my problem related to 0.10.5 or am I just being stupid and missing a setting? I did notice that if I set the container to "MK4" then my problem went away but I would prefer "MP4" (or "m4v") as my container.

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It used to be you could only burn in vobsub in mp4,not passthru. That restriction wasn't removed from the GUI so it auto-selects burn in for the last added track. (The others would be dropped in older builds iirc).

I think it's fixed in the nightly builds.
Arp

Post by Arp »

Lazyncoder wrote: I will also point out that you can also do this a bit easier by simply installing Handbrake (the release version), downloading the release source code to your Linux VM, compile the libhb and CLI against the release source with the --enable-fdk flag, and merely overwrite your existing hb.dll and HandBrakeCLI.exe with the ones you compiled on Linux. By doing it this way, you only have to do one compile.
After compiling 10.5 with --enable-fdk, will fdk become default for AAC or will it have to be selected on the command line?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

No. It's not deafult
Strands
New User

Post by Strands »

Hey, Devs, just wanted to say thanks for persisting and adapting with all of these licensing issues and fixing things for us. HandBrake has really helped me, and my family, by helping us to digitize our own content, be it our family videos on CD (transcoded from old VHS) into streamable files, or other content that we own. Thanks for keeping on even with all of these AAC complaints you've received - I definitely appreciate it a lot, and I'm pretty sure lots of other people do as well.
JuanitaF
New User

Post by JuanitaF »

What am I doing wrong? HandBrake is installed on my Win 10 computer and I select the source, but receive the following message when I click on Start- "scan a source and set up your job before starting an encode". There are no Title, Angle, chapters/seconds/frames, Through or Duration options and I designed the .swf file so no copyright issues apply. Arrrgghhh! How does one start to use HandBrake? I simply want to change the video format to mp4
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

JuanitaF wrote:What am I doing wrong? HandBrake is installed on my Win 10 computer and I select the source, but receive the following message when I click on Start- "scan a source and set up your job before starting an encode". There are no Title, Angle, chapters/seconds/frames, Through or Duration options and I designed the .swf file so no copyright issues apply. Arrrgghhh! How does one start to use HandBrake? I simply want to change the video format to mp4
You should start a new thread in the appropriate forum and please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236