The Publisher of HandBreak couldn't be verified

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
davidrift@yahoo.com

The Publisher of HandBreak couldn't be verified

Post by davidrift@yahoo.com »

Downloaded Current Version and received warning "The publisher of Handbreak-0.10.3-i686-Win_GUI.exe couldn't be verified". Not sure why Internet Explorer doesn't recognize the site or organization; however I thought you might like to know.

Best Regards,
David
Deleted User 13735

Re: The Publisher of HandBreak couldn't be verified

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

It's a Windows nag originating in your Group Policy security settings.

You can turn it off, or allow the download or application through manually.
I doubt the volunteer developers want to pay for Handbrake to have M$ certification
This happens a lot beginning with Win 8. Search.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Re: The Publisher of HandBreak couldn't be verified

Post by tlindgren »

Looks like Certum offers very cheap code-signing certificates to Open Source developers. Probably second cheapest option is KSoftware which offers a Comodo code signing certificates much cheaper than Comodo. In both cases there is a yearly fee, not free.

Doing the code signing in itself isn't that bad, though it can take a few tries to get all details right, you really want to use the (free) timestamp countersigning service too, so that way old binaries stays valid as long as the certificate hadn't expired when it was used for signing.

It's also a bit of paperwork involved, a number of smaller project also doesn't sign their binaries.