Final output size

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
roxics

Final output size

Post by roxics »

If I'm not mistaken, years ago Handbrake used to tell you what your estimated output file size would be. Does such a thing exist anymore, I can't find it?
roxics

Re: Final output size

Post by roxics »

Actually after thinking about it more, it used to let you pick your final output file size. Super handy. Why does this not exist anymore?
Is there anyway to see an estimated file size before rendering?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

This feature was removed from HB, if you search for target file size you will see why.

There are many file size calculators online if you google for them.
Devore

Post by Devore »

The est file size figure only applies to encodes that are using targeted/average bitrate mode. You should really be using the RF slider instead, which is impossible to tell what the final size will be. Use bitrate targets only when you need the file to fit into a certain size for some reason. Online bitrate/file size calculators will get the job done for you.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

joelandsonja

Post by joelandsonja »

I absolutely hate the constant quality function. I understand the value of the feature, but I still hate it.

Unfortunately I am forced to use Handbrake 0.9.4 because I still need the Target Size function, but this means I am missing out on other valuable upgrades. I would love to have the non-windowed display feature, but I can't get that using version 0.9.4. I simply do not understand why you would remove such a valuable function. Speaking for myself (and countless others) I couldn't care less if my video quality is slightly less than I would get using the constant quality option, I would much rather select the size of my file.

I often want to share home videos [or other materials] with friends and family, and having the ability to select the file size, especially when I'm in a hurry, is extremely valuable to me. I seriously hope the developers will change their minds and bring this feature back.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Bitrate (Mbps) x Time (Sec) x .125 = File Size (MB)
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

joelandsonja wrote:I absolutely hate the constant quality function. I understand the value of the feature, but I still hate it.

Unfortunately I am forced to use Handbrake 0.9.4 because I still need the Target Size function
Average bitrate mode is available, you're not limited to constant quality.

You're welcome to use a current version with one of the many bitrate calculators available.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

And, for the math challenged, and since joel has his heart set on a particular file size, regardless of the consequences....

File Size (MB) / (Time(Sec) x .125) = Bitrate (Mbps)