Editing Software and "best settings" for DVD to mp4

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
TheGuy

Editing Software and "best settings" for DVD to mp4

Post by TheGuy »

Hi !

First question:
I need a recommandation for editing software. I created a mp4 file with 3 audio and 2 subtitle streams.
Is there a software to cut the file (if possible without recoding) and keep the subtitles?

I tried many freeware programs, but after cutting, everytime the subtitles were lost.
I'm willing to pay up to 35$ for a program that works fine, only condition: There must be a Trial/Freeware version to test the program before purchase.

Second question:
I know, this question is asked very often but what are the best settings when i convert from DVD to .mp4 when i want the best quality?
I'm aware that the three important things to convert are time to encode, quality and file size.

Right now, i use the standart "high" setting, it converts a 5,54GB DVD movie into 1,06GB .mp4 and is in my oppinion of good quality. So the data is compressed to around 20% of the original size. The convertion takes about 100-120% of the time of the original files play time.

I could live with the file to be a little larger, like 30% of the original and the encoding time is of no importance.
The encoding is done by a seperate computer that stays in the cellar and can run all day long.

I use Handbrake version 0.10.0.6534 - 32bit.

Thanks for any help/suggestions and please excuse my bad english.

Markus
Hand On Tha Brizzake

Re: Editing Software and "best settings" for DVD to mp4

Post by Hand On Tha Brizzake »

TheGuy wrote:Second question:
I know, this question is asked very often but what are the best settings when i convert from DVD to .mp4 when i want the best quality?
I'm aware that the three important things to convert are time to encode, quality and file size.

Right now, i use the standart "high" setting, it converts a 5,54GB DVD movie into 1,06GB .mp4 and is in my oppinion of good quality. So the data is compressed to around 20% of the original size. The convertion takes about 100-120% of the time of the original files play time.

I could live with the file to be a little larger, like 30% of the original and the encoding time is of no importance.
The encoding is done by a seperate computer that stays in the cellar and can run all day long.

I use Handbrake version 0.10.0.6534 - 32bit.

Thanks for any help/suggestions and please excuse my bad english.

Markus
To answer this question, I will adapt my default profile to accommodate your choice of container / file format. I have my profile for MP4/M4V configured as such that there is no loss of quality from the source to the destination [with the exception of auto-cropping and loose anamorphic with a modulus of 2] and also results in the utmost efficiency in compression. I use HandBrake strictly to transcode from DVD thus my MP4/M4V profile [and MKV profile for that matter] may differ from yours. Audio tracks and sub-titles / closed caption streams notwithstanding, these settings will result in extreme efficiency with regards to the output file's final size and no loss of quality with regards to image aside from auto-cropping. I hope the following helps.

The MKV profile is quite similar. These are my Mp4/M4V profile parameters:
  • Web optimised: no – MP4/M4V specific
    Codec: H.265 [x265]
    Quality: constant
    RF: 0
    Frame rate [FPS]: same as source; variable
    Preset: placebo
    Tune: none
    Profile: auto
    Level: auto
    Cropping: automatic
    Keep aspect ratio: yes – this can not be changed
    Anamorphic: loose
    Modulus: 2
    Picture filters: detelecine – default; decomb – default
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No, RF 0 is pants on head silly for the OP's purpose, plus we have no idea if his playback environment supports H.265.
Hand On Tha Brizzake

Post by Hand On Tha Brizzake »

It would be silly if the resulting output file's size was either equal to or above the source. Even if it was slightly lower it would be. Also, it would be silly if time was an issue but they mentioned it is of no importance. This means with the time/efficiency factor set to Placebo there should be no space wasted. With regards to h.265 [x265] your mention of compatibility is why I mentioned their profile parameters may vary.