Using Handbrake with a dvd made from a Sony dvdirect VRDMC3

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Ktsea

Using Handbrake with a dvd made from a Sony dvdirect VRDMC3

Post by Ktsea »

I am considering buying this Sony machine and copying my Hi8 tapes and VCR tapes to dvds. I am wondering if Handbrake can them allow me to edit the DVD in imovie.

It is my understanding that the Sony creates DVD is "as is". And that further editing is not possible in this product's state.

Does anyone know if my assumption about Handbrake allowing me to edit the raw footage is true? And if so, do you have any words of wisdom about the process?

As the mother of the kid videotaped, I don' mind seeing all 90 of the raw minutes, but the grandparents can only naturally bear 2-4 minutes tops!

Thanks very much.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Hi Ktsea, welcome to the forum.

Well, I can't give you advice on your potential new Sony machine, and I don't use iMovie or even own a Mac, but I can give you a few "words of wisdom" hopefully.

I feed alot of DvD content from a stand-alone DVR into HandBrake. Much of it is home-stuff, TV recordings, and VHS tape converted. Although my machine has edit capablities, I prefer to dump it all on my PC and do my editing there with a good editor nevertheless beyond those simplistic editors on the stand-alones. You will need a good editor at any rate.

As well, even if you were satisfied with the final DvD from your Sony "as is", you may still have problems feeding that directly into HandBrake. HandBrake seems to dislike the "home brews", and I don't know why.

My advice would be to get a few packs of RW discs. Dump your video from your machine to your Mac via these discs. Use a good editor that will make your edits for you because, to answer your question, HandBrake is NOT a video editor.

HandBrake is an MPEG-4 encoder. It will compress your DvD video into smaller video files, but you will lose a little quality. Think it over before deciding to put cherished family content into HandBrake if you don't plan on keeping the source.

When you have finished your edits, your editor should allow you to create a new DvD out of your content, or if you decide to compress it, you can feed that new DvD image into HandBrake for encoding/compressing it.

I do also recommend you go through the guide as well - great info there on presets, etc. It will help you decide what you want to use HB for.