New Application that Uses Handbrake

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
awk
Enlightened

New Application that Uses Handbrake

Post by awk »

I know that a few people here have been using Handbrake (and specifically the new feature to handle Transport Streams) with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun.

So here's the website for a new application I've been working on that is the 'rasion d'etre' behind the transport stream features in Handbrake :

http://www.iontv-app.com

It's not available yet since it relies on some new features introduced with Leopard (and thus will require Leopard when it's available). I hope to make the source packages available at the end of October (when Leopard ships) and an initial release binary at around the same time - yes folks it's open-source.

There's some more details on the website - and also a link to register so that you'll be notified when it's ready.

Andrew 8-)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

=)
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

sounds real sweet....but....
...I have Windoze... :cry: :cry: :cry:
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

shame really. I wrote a TV Guide a year or 2 ago (with support for around 300 UK viewable channels from radiotimes data)

Had it setup to record programs via the command line (my hauppauge nova-t DVB-t capture card) Would have been really easy to send the mpeg2 output through handbrake for creating a video library and expand the search algorithms to make them more intelligent.

Only one issue. I no longer have the code for it :(

be a nice idea to revive that project though
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I would love this to work with my EyeTV Hybrid. I hate the fact EyeTV uses Quicktime!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

See, awk? I told you EyeTV owners would be interested ;-)

When I was at BestBuy on Saturday, replacing the fried router that delayed 0.9.1 until yesterday, I almost picked up one of those Hybrids just because I knew this was coming soon :-)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

You best damn believe EyeTv users would want this. Even to the point of Mass Exodus !
awk
Enlightened

Post by awk »

Supporting additional tuners is on the 'future feature' list.

BUT (and it's a large BUT) I'm not aware of any public information about retrieving streams from devices such as the EyeTV Hybrid, or Pinnacle's exceedingly similar product (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... +Stick.htm) which actually comes with EyeTV too !

Without public specs for those devices supporting them is a significant challenge.

It might be interesting if someone can engineer an AppleScript/shell script or similar workflow to get recordings out of EyeTV and through Handbrake - a stop gap solution perhaps but still useful for some folk.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

My current workflow with EyeTV is pretty simple but inefficient. I have to export the EyeTV recording to a MPEG PS, and then run the .mpg through HB.

The export only take a few minutes, so I'm sure its just a container switch(copy).
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Did you try to use the original transport stream thats in the .eyetv File?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I never looked "into" the file. I didn't know there was a .ts in there.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Its called .mpg however it just a renamed transport stream and is recognized by HB if you change its extension to .ts.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hmm... If its a .mpg then its should be a MPEG Program Stream and wouldn't need renaming.

None the less we're off topic, we can move this elsewhere.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Well, you should tell this the EyeTV developers.
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

I'm only just realising that Handbrake's new ability to read transport streams is just about the best thing ever. I'm surprised nobody made more of a fanfare about it!

I'm using it with EyeTV at the moment, via the Export to Program Stream option which seems the most reliable. Real integration with EyeTV would certainly be a bonus, but I can think of one reason why Elgato might not want to cooperate (the reason is about the size of a cigarette lighter and cannot be named on this forum).

Thanks & kudos, Handbrake devs.

pjc
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Okay, awk. I've got an HDHomeRun and Leopard in my hands. It's as late as October can get.

Where's iOnTV? =)

I've only had the HDHR a day, but I'm not sure how much longer I can stand hdhomerun_config's interface. ;>
awk
Enlightened

Post by awk »

jbrjake wrote:Okay, awk. I've got an HDHomeRun and Leopard in my hands. It's as late as October can get.

Where's iOnTV? =)

I've only had the HDHR a day, but I'm not sure how much longer I can stand hdhomerun_config's interface. ;>
So here are the excuses 8-)

Well... I lost some considerable time this past weekend (when I usually get the most done on this project) to a troublesome Tiger -> Leopard upgrade (nope not the APE problem - other stuff).

Plus family commitments around Halloween are getting in the way 8-)

My plan is to get 0.7.5 out this week I've about 3 items left to do to make this milestone. 0.7.5 will have about 75% of the stuff I want to to see in the final 1.0 release - which will probably be a little bit longer.

Watch the site for details - and I'll post here too.

Remember folks - patience is a virtue 8-)

P.S. Next time I'll be taking a leaf out of handbrake's book and just 'launching it when it's done' ! If you don't mention a date then no one can whine when you don't make it 8-) 8-) 8-)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

awk wrote:Next time I'll be taking a leaf out of handbrake's book and just 'launching it when it's done' ! If you don't mention a date then no one can whine when you don't make it 8-) 8-) 8-)
;P