VCD to MP4

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
maust2000

VCD to MP4

Post by maust2000 »

can HandBrake convert VCD to MP4
mduell
Veteran User

Re: VCD to MP4

Post by mduell »

Possibly.
JackNF
Enlightened

Post by JackNF »

There should be a way, the video itself would be just standard MPEG-1 (or MPEG-2 for SVCDs) although Handbrake wouldn't have any code to nicely parse the VCD/SVCD file structure for titles and chapters the way it does DVDs or Blu-rays. Push comes to shove drag & drop the basic video files off a VCD should work about as well as doing so with a DVD's VOBs or a blu-ray's m2ts files.

The big question for me would be if you can actually get a clean rip. VCDs generally used the same 'mode 2' storage method that audio CDs use which allows more data on disc by decreasing the amount of error correction compared to standard data discs (cramming ~800MB of content onto that 700MB CD seemed like a good trade-off at the time... just don't scratch it).
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

It may depend on the mpeg-1 version.
If its the earliest MCI codec, Windows stopped native support with XP iirc.
Whether libav has some form of quartz.DLL for decoding MCI, I honestly don't know.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

musicvid wrote:It may depend on the mpeg-1 version.
If its the earliest MCI codec, Windows stopped native support with XP iirc.
Whether libav has some form of quartz.DLL for decoding MCI, I honestly don't know.
Either it's MPEG-1 video or it's not. If libavcodec doesn't fully support some MPEG-1 streams found on VCD sources, then one should file a bug report.