HandBrake 0.10 Release Candidate 1

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
HandBrake

HandBrake 0.10 Release Candidate 1

Post by HandBrake »

We are now moving into the final push to fix as many issues as possible before the 0.10 release. We think the app is getting close, so please give it a shot and let us know if you discover any issues.

Please post any bugs or issues you discover in the bugs forum or let us know via our IRC channels. Don't assume we know about them!

You can grab a copy on the Beta and RC download Page.
mmick

Re: HandBrake 0.10 Release Candidate 1

Post by mmick »

nice! When you release the final version, please compile one 32-bit version, one last time... excelent work BTW
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The plan is to ship a 32bit build. How long that's available for, depends on how many people complain about "Out of Memory" errors.
mmick

Post by mmick »

s55 wrote:The plan is to ship a 32bit build. How long that's available for, depends on how many people complain about "Out of Memory" errors.
Thanks, I ll apreciate. So far, making my backups from Blu-Ray to 1080p MKV with Quick-Sync or medium-quality software encoding never resulted on Out of Memory errors, with the 32-bit version. Perhaps that happens on extremely high quality settings.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You may not have, but others have. We are at a tipping point of the problem getting an awful lot worse with 2 and 4K content becoming more popular.

QuickSync is less likely to trigger the issue on content at 1080p or below as it doesn't have the same features or control as x264.
mmick

Post by mmick »

Well, for the 32-bit, it could set a Warning that for high bitrate 1080p or above, and x265, all the Out of Memory issues are a limitation of the 32-bit technology / RAM limit. Then all those thousands of Tablets/Hybrids with the new Quad Core Atom Z37xx or low end AMDs/Celeron/Pentium/i3 could still use Handbrake, as most come with Win 8.1 32-bit. Despite all being capable of 64-bit, lots of people won´t reinstall Windows...

Nevertheless I am grateful that it will be a 32 bit version for now.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

When is the last time you saw someone read a warning ;)
Bit-rate isn't actually the main problem. There are a whole host of setting combinations that can push it over the edge so it's not practical to even easy to add warnings as it's hard to predict before hand what's going to happen.

I'd also recommend against using HandBrake on a tablet. A lot of them have poor thermal design so aggressively thermal or just outright shut-off.
QuickSync isn't so bad, but the software encoders will max out the CPU which is not good in such thin devices.
nebadon

Post by nebadon »

I have been using 0.10 RC and the Nightly builds, for the longest time i have used handbrake to convert videos that stream from my server to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 8.0 with MX Player for Android. However as of 0.10 it seems that mx player can not play these files

normally just checking the Web Optimized and using one of the Ipod/Ipad or Apple TV presets made files that could be streamed from a web server to android just fine, but it seems like even Firefox doesnt know what these files are anymore, what has changed?? Also why cant i change the resolution higher anymore, like say i choose Iphone & Ipod Touch preset, it sets the resolution to 960, previously i could increase that slightly if i wanted to say 1024, but now it seems like the preset is preventing it from going any higher, kind of sucks! If anyone has any suggestions or tricks to make this work again that would be great, otherwise might I consider this a bug?
nebadon

Post by nebadon »

Interestingly they do play on Android MX player via SMB protocol via ES Explorer, but not over HTTP transport it seems.

*hope my previous post is not hidden because i linked a image file, if so this post will probably sound pretty ridiculous!
Drag0nFly

Post by Drag0nFly »

Something has changed in the way HandBrake generates its MKV files in recent versions. I am getting errors on all encoded files when verifying these with 'mkvalidator'.
The issue is present on both Linux and OSX, and the most recent version tested is 0.10RC1 (6464svn 2014102501).

The errors typically occur at the end of the file, and are related to the keyframe–

[...]
ERR0B1: Block at 15594628114 track #5 is not a keyframe
ERR0B1: Block at 15594687090 track #5 is not a keyframe
ERR0B1: Block at 15597511596 track #5 is not a keyframe
........file created with Lavf55.12.0 / HandBrake 6464svn 2014102501

This previously caused visible corrpution when viewing the files through, for instance, XBMC. svn6379 was really bad, while versions prior to and including svn6351 were ok.
All source files (full-quality) have been tested and are ok (generated via MakeMKV), so the issues are not related to a bad rip.

btw–I also notice that previously all MKV authoring was done with libmkv (on OSX), but these now appear to be using lavc on both Linux & OSX. Could this be related?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No encoding log -> no support!
Drag0nFly

Post by Drag0nFly »

JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

nebadon wrote:I have been using 0.10 RC and the Nightly builds, for the longest time i have used handbrake to convert videos that stream from my server to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 8.0 with MX Player for Android. However as of 0.10 it seems that mx player can not play these files

...image deleted

normally just checking the Web Optimized and using one of the Ipod/Ipad or Apple TV presets made files that could be streamed from a web server to android just fine, but it seems like even Firefox doesnt know what these files are anymore, what has changed?? Also why cant i change the resolution higher anymore, like say i choose Iphone & Ipod Touch preset, it sets the resolution to 960, previously i could increase that slightly if i wanted to say 1024, but now it seems like the preset is preventing it from going any higher, kind of sucks! If anyone has any suggestions or tricks to make this work again that would be great, otherwise might I consider this a bug?
I just encoded a sample with the latest version of HandBrake using AppleTV preset + web optimized. Then uploaded it to a web site. Then opened MX Player on my phone, selected "Network stream" from the menu, typed in the url, and it played just fine.

So more details will be necessary...
nebadon

Post by nebadon »

well I was able to resolve the problem by using the Advanced Tab and then in the x26 Encoder Options boxed I erased this

Code: Select all

level=4.0:ref=1:8x8dct=0:weightp=1:subme=2:mixed-refs=0:trellis=0:vbv-bufsize=25000:vbv-maxrate=20000:rc-lookahead=10
I just left this box blank like it was in 0.9.9, i basically reverted one of my machines and did a side by side comparison and matched everything perfectly to how the default presets in 0.9 set things, and then it all started working again. If there is something more I can offer to shed light on the situation just let me know! Thanks for the great software!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

nebadon wrote:well I was able to resolve the problem by using the Advanced Tab and then in the x26 Encoder Options boxed I erased this

Code: Select all

level=4.0:ref=1:8x8dct=0:weightp=1:subme=2:mixed-refs=0:trellis=0:vbv-bufsize=25000:vbv-maxrate=20000:rc-lookahead=10
I just left this box blank like it was in 0.9.9, i basically reverted one of my machines and did a side by side comparison and matched everything perfectly to how the default presets in 0.9 set things, and then it all started working again. If there is something more I can offer to shed light on the situation just let me know! Thanks for the great software!
Those settings correspond to the "Normal" preset, not the "AppleTV" preset. So your description of the problem does not match the settings you actually used. Please try the AppleTV preset as you decribed your normal process as being and see if that solves the problem. If it does not solve the problem, please supply the activity log of the encode so we can troubleshoot.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: HandBrake 0.10 Release Candidate 2

Post by s55 »

Release Candidate 2 Pushed out the door. Pending any serious issues, Final is up next.