PUT BACK THE ADVANCED TAB

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
putbackadvancedtab

PUT BACK THE ADVANCED TAB

Post by putbackadvancedtab »

Or at least make two versions, one for hardcore and one for newbs.

You guys should know better than this and not be surprised whatsoever that removing the advanced tab is going to [Censored] off a great deal of people.

No it does not help whatsoever that you leave in the little "extra settings" line. I know most of my settings by heart, but that just makes it a pain in the ass for the majority who do not. And even those who do.

What kind of crap is this.

You have essentially turned Firefox into a piece of crap AOL browser.

Fix this crap or I will be switching to a different transcoder.

No I won't be returning to this thread I am too busy so you guys have at it.

Cheers.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: PUT BACK THE ADVANCED TAB

Post by Ritsuka »

Ehm, you can re enable it in the preferences.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Best.Post.Ever
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The CLI is for the hardcore.

People futzing with random advanced options in the GUI are probably making poor choices. "Turn it up to 11!" Especially people who don't know the options to use in extra settings.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Before anyone else chimes in.

Preset/Tune options are designed by the x264 developers, not us. 99% of the time, there is no need to deviate from these. The extra settings box is there deliberately as there is the odd time where you may want to change at most 1 or 2 options.

Secondly, Advanced tab only ever displayed a subset of x264's actual options, and within that subset, not all the available options were available.

Mduell's right though. A very large percentage of the users that we see using the advanced tab, get it badly wrong and they are completely clueless as to why. However, that large percentage is a fraction of a percent of the actual user base.

I also find it funny that there are some glaring bugs in the advanced tab that have gone past several million users and not been noticed. Just shows how many people actually touch the tab.

Finally, there is no loss in functionality here. It's just making it harder for users to be stupid, and easier for people to get more optimal settings.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Since we can have at it, and you're too lazy to come back and see that it's still there, I am certain that the Handbrake developers will be very upset to see that a user that can't even see a button that says something to the effect of "Enable Advanced Tab" is departing the userbase.

Good luck with the software you want to use in the future!

SC
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

PUT BACK THE FLAC AUDIO OPTION! AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, PUT BACK THE OPTION TO ENCODE TO AN MKV CONTAINER!

Curiosity. Killing cats and alerting users to "Show Advanced Tab" options since 1929.

With rollin_eng on this one. BEST. POST. EVAR!