Subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Brifly33

Subtitles

Post by Brifly33 »

I'm trying to find out some information about doing subtitles. Is there a way to encode a dvd with the subtitles where I can decide when I'm watching the movie if I want to have to subtitles on or off?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Subtitles

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Yes
Brifly33

Post by Brifly33 »

can you please tell me how do it?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Leave "burn in" unchecked when adding the subtitle to the subtitle list in the GUI
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Of course, some additional information would be helpful....

What version of handbrake are you using?
Are you encoding to an MKV or MP4?
Are these the VOB subtitles off the DVD, or one of the several text format subtitles you can download online?

All of those affect your choices for how to have switchable subtitles.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Brifly33 wrote:I'm trying to find out some information about doing subtitles. Is there a way to encode a dvd with the subtitles where I can decide when I'm watching the movie if I want to have to subtitles on or off?
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles
DumbeBlonde

Post by DumbeBlonde »

Brifly33 wrote:I'm trying to find out some information about doing subtitles. Is there a way to encode a dvd with the subtitles where I can decide when I'm watching the movie if I want to have to subtitles on or off?
In short, the only way to do this is to encode mkv and tick the "Default" box in the subs menu, irrespective of whether you're using external .srt subs or the original vobsubs that are on the DVD.