Breaking movie up into multiple files?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
texasgrillchef

Breaking movie up into multiple files?

Post by texasgrillchef »

Is it possible to break a movie up into multiple file sizes?

I ask this because transfering movies easily over the internet sometimes can have file size limitations. Some cloud services have maximum file size limits that can be uploaded. Even though you may have enough space.

One example is Microsofts Onedrive cloud service. I have 60gb of available space on that service, but no one file can be larger than 10gb. Most of HD movies that I have in MKV format are between 15-35gb in length. However all the 1 hour TV shows are under 10gb.

So wondering if it's possible to break those up into 2 or 3 smaller files? Then is it possible to recombine them?

TGC
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Breaking movie up into multiple files?

Post by mduell »

HandBrake is not the way to do this.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Breaking movie up into multiple files?

Post by Woodstock »

While handbrake is not the best tool, it IS possible to do, by encoding subsets of chapters into separate files. You can also do it by time, but chapters USUALLY have a cleaner "break" between audio/video sections.

Load the source file into handbrake. Make all you normal settings. Select chapter 1 through "X" (where X is chosen to be about 1/4 of the way into the movie). Give it a name, add it to the queue. Select chapter X+1 through Y, assign a name, add to queue, etc.

It isn't exact, by any means. It's not automatic. But it will accomplish the goal. It's also the way I deal with breaking TV series up into individual episodes when the disk author decided to put 4-10 episodes in one file...