Forced Subtitles

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

eddyg wrote:Hi Cavalicious,

Actually you can and should use -F and -s at the same time, -F by itself will do nothing. It is a modifier to -s.

-F will modify -s so that you will only show forced subtitles. If you have none, then none will show :)

What I do is use the autoselect option to tell me what subtitles there are there first (look in the Activity Window at the end of the in depth scan). This gets the subtitle selection right most of the time. When it fails I just select them manually.

I also got the same problem as you with Apocalypto, it's one of those where the autoselect fails (because the majority if not all of it is not in English). So I did some trial and error on a single chapter to get it right.

Cheers, Ed.
Hmm...Ok, that explains my pain with Apocalypto. But I could have sworn I got -F to work by itself. Unless default is Autoselect if you don't put a -s??? Then again, I could be mistaken. Happens often lately...not enough sleep!
naadofett

Post by naadofett »

Has anybody successfully done the Star Wars movies with the appropriate forced subtitles? Every time I try I get the wrong results. I've tried every English subtitle option. The best option I've found is the one that only shows the language translation when aliens are speaking, etc., however it also shows the subtitle for the audio commentary speaker at the same time (pretty annoying IMO). I tried selecting the "auto select" option and also the forced subtitle option, but I get the same result as manually choosing the subtitle track with commentary speaker identification. Choosing auto select by itself gives me no subtitles of any kind.

There has to be a way to do this. I'm going cuurazzzy trying to figure this out :shock: