handbrake encoding quality

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
shrink

handbrake encoding quality

Post by shrink »

Am I right that using any encoder will inevitably lead to quality loss? For me, video quality is paramount. I've been using dvdshrink for years without noticing quality issues on 480P sets.

I have handbrake setup to maximize video quality (RF=19-x264 preset=slower) and there is still a noticeable video quality issue of motion blur. Could it be due to my old style pc running XP?

From what I can see, running the encoder will shrink file size down to 30% of the original file. But with storage so cheap, why deal with the quality loss?

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Re: handbrake encoding quality

Post by mduell »

Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

Forum rules

By "motion blur" do you mean combing? For example:

Tree Dude
Enlightened

Post by Tree Dude »

I always noticed the quality loss with DVDShrink on movies that were large enough to fill a dual layer DVD. Keep in mind DVDShink doesn't always compress if the movie can already fit on a single layer DVD.

I use this for my DVDs:
RF: 20 (I like a little more compression, 19 would be better for quality)
Preset: Slow
Tune: Film (switch to animation only for cell animated movies)
Profile: High
FPS: Source - Variable
Detelecine: Default
Decomb: Defualt
VP9

Post by VP9 »

shrink wrote:Am I right that using any encoder will inevitably lead to quality loss?
Yes, unless you used a "LOSSLESS" encoder/settings.

sQ: Why?
sA: Because the encoders need to "destroy" parts of your original data (i.e. "excluding" details) to increase possible compression ratio.
shrink wrote:For me, video quality is paramount.
Sad to know only a few thinks the same. That's why we have poor quality standards.

The maximum bitrate that can be used in DVD/blu-ray is far from sufficient if you consider a video that is hard to compress (a.k.a. near the worst case scenario).

Just my consumer opinion. It is personal opinion, no need to go scientific about it.

:D