QSV Decoding?!

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
K@mpfH@mster

QSV Decoding?!

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

Hi, if I have a QSV CPU, is it possible to enable QSV only for decoding but x264 for enoding to speed up but keep quality?
VP9

Re: QSV Decoding?!

Post by VP9 »

K@mpfH@mster wrote:Hi, if I have a QSV CPU, is it possible to enable QSV only for decoding but x264 for enoding to speed up but keep quality?
Even if you double your CPU power, the speed gain would be quite insignificant. Unless you are using very fast encoder settings.

I'd recommend you have more patience to wait or buy a more powerful hardware. Because increasing decoding speed will certainly not give you significant advantages at all.

Just my opinion. I tried to do what you are talking about in the past as well.
ashleylai87

Post by ashleylai87 »

K@mpfH@mster wrote:Hi, if I have a QSV CPU, is it possible to enable QSV only for decoding but x264 for enoding to speed up but keep quality?
Technically, DXVA decoding is doing the same job.....GPU decoding with x264 encoding.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's possible, but it's not ready yet. DXVA does the same thing in theory, though Intel's Media SDK generally implements it better (IIRC things have improved lately, but DXVA can sometimes still be slower than software decoding, even for HD, whereas it's almost never the case with MSDK).
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I would tend to think that where the files are stored is more important than what's decoding them.
USB drives of all types can read slow, and NAS -- forget it.
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

@rodeo: How much faster will it be than DXVA? Around 5-10%?