Lossless Settings to rip DVD

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Davlog

Lossless Settings to rip DVD

Post by Davlog »

Hey,

I used to rip dvds with dvd::rip. I liked it except that it took hours to rip a single dvd and that the installation is very hard nowadays. Changed from kali linux to linux mint and now it failed. That's why I tested Hanbrake and it seems like it is even better and so much faster than dvd::rip. But sadly, I don't know what settings I should use to get the best quality (I'd like the original quality of the dvd).

I don't want the screen to be smaller / bigger than the original source or a lower / an even higher audio bitrate etc. I want everything as it is on the dvd. So I used these settings so far :

Picture Settings :

Cropping (the 4 input boxes) all set to 0, so there shouldn't be any lose in screen resolution right? Also Auto Crop is not checked and Loose Crop is disenabled.

In the Storage section I only set Anamorphic to Strict, the rest is disenabled / greyed out. Same goes for the display section, everything is greyed out / disenabled.

Video Settings :

Constant Quality (RF: 0 - Lossless), Video Encoder is MPEG-4(FFmpeg), Framerate is the Same as Source and Variable Framerate is checked.

Audio Sttings:

Well here I just add all tracks available with the Encoder AC3 Passthru.

Subtitles are also all added. Nothing is chcked.

Well that's everything. How are these settings? Will they give me the original quality or at least the maximum closest quality to the original? Note that I do not care about filesizes. All I care about is the quality. Of course I'd like my files to be as small as possible but only if the quality won't change.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Lossless Settings to rip DVD

Post by Woodstock »

Is there a reason, in these circumstances, that you don't want to use a tool like MakeMKV, which just does a pass-through of all the data?

Or do you actually care about the file size, which is why you want to recode the MPEG2 video to MPEG4?
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Post by moneymatt4life »

... not sure if HandBrake is what you're looking for based on your desired output (athough it's ultimately up to you what you want to do):
-cropping out black bars should happen, so you're not wasting bits on blackness (*i think i read this here somewhere once? i could be mistaken*) that should be automatically placed upon playback. using strict anamorphic will keep the original source dimensions and adjust to compensate cropping, so you shouldn't lose any of the active video.
-i would also highly recommend against using mpeg4, while it's extremely fast as you noticed, x264 using CRF produces much better results (provided a decent x264 preset is used, the fastest i usually recommend is the "fast" preset. i use "veryslow" with a level limit myself). x264 with a CRF between 18-16 for dvds generally produces *visually lossless*(*subjective between individuals*) results at a percentage of the original filesize... and mpeg4 doesn't have a "lossless" encoding method. x264 does have lossless encoding, but the resultant filesize will be an insanely higher filesize than the original.
-i assume your desired file container is mkv then? as mp4/4v is usually geared towards iDevices and those definitely don't support vobsub in mp4, while software players usually can... if it's a decent player that is...

so with that, as you want to keep it as "original" as the dvd, i'm going to recommend that you use MakeMKV.(which Woodstock beat me to :P) there's a link for linux instructions.
Last edited by moneymatt4life on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davlog

Post by Davlog »

Well thank you guys. I did not know that makemkv exists on linux platforms. I am installing it right now and test it very soon.
Still thanks for your advices moneymatt4life.
VP9

Post by VP9 »

Davlog wrote:Lossless Settings to rip DVD
The best lossless method to copy a dvd is simply to copy the movies from the dvd itself (yet the quality from dvds is very bad given its purpose).

I'd use "dvdbackup" for that.