Where do you get your source?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
hardliner

Where do you get your source?

Post by hardliner »

I've been trying to encode some Blu-rays and have been having difficulties but I am curious on which ways would you encode a Blu-ray.

Straight from the Blu-ray itself?

I've ripped the entire Blu-ray onto my external hard drive using AnyDVD HD and used it from there. Is that a better place?

Just curious if anyone has tested either way.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Where do you get your source?

Post by TedJ »

I pre-rip to HDD using MakeMKV prior to encoding.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I also prerip with MakeMKV. I do use AnyDVD HD for backing up a BD if the feature has seamless branching for different versions of a movie.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Smithcraft wrote:I also prerip with MakeMKV. I do use AnyDVD HD for backing up a BD if the feature has seamless branching for different versions of a movie.
Why not use MakeMKV too?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

The MakeMKV workflow is somewhat odd to me. I always click on scanning the disc, after which you can't do the disc copy (or am I missing something?) and I don't see an easy way to get back to the beginning of the process without ejecting the disc/quitting and restarting MakeMKV.

Plus I bought a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD a few years ago. ;)

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Which is why I do the backup first, and then decide whether to convert to MKV or not (from that backup rather than the disc).