DVD5, 9 incapable of 720, 1080?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
defender
Novice

DVD5, 9 incapable of 720, 1080?

Post by defender »

O.K., O.K…

Once and for all, :?: unless you're burning a (non-Blu-ray) DVD for video playback on a personal computer, are standard DVD discs (DVD5, 9) >incapable< of "handling" 720 or 1080 video on standard DVD console playback devices (even the very latest models?)? (I should know this, I know...)

Is 480 the max at least for VIDEO_TS/VOB, etc. files? (The most compatible format, AFAIK.)

§ Do optical media playback devices detect the type of optical disc you're playing and refuse to "handle" HD video? (Barring .MP4, .AVI, etc. which not every DVD console can use?)

If it detects a non-Blu-ray DVD disc, does it "say" "I can't decode HD video on a standard DVD because I lack relevant decoding hardware."? (Even if it's a Blu-ray player that does have the hardware?)

Even if you try 10 minutes of HD video on a dual-layer DVD?

§ I know that one can write a small BDMV bundle to a standard DVD for playback on a Blu-ray playback device, but if you shoot 1080 video and want to share it with someone with a non-Blu-ray DVD player, are you stuck with 720x480 max?

Every DVD burning app I've tried, which downscales 1080 "footage" to 480, gives me LOUSY results. (And I've seen commercial 480 DVDs that look almost HD in quality.)

I shot a time-lapse of some dramatic cloud movements and collisions and a massive hail storm that ensued, and DVDs I've burned show the clouds faintly and the dramatic motion and collisions are all washed out and downright yawners.

(I suspect it's because they may all use FFmpeg.)

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanx.
Deleted User 13735

Re: DVD5, 9 incapable of 720, 1080?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You can put HD resolution video on a DVD disc.
It will not be a compliant DVD, which is standard definition.
Whether the video on the disc plays or not is up to the player.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No, however compatibility is a nightmare.

There were at least two standards for it, 3X DVD and BD5/BD9 for which one or more implementations may exist. There are also a variety of nonstandard implementations, where some manufacturers may allow for the playback of appropriately formatted files from optical disks.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I'd think this would be a better question for the VideoHelp forums.

SC