Re-sizing A Video To A Width & Height Bigger Than Original

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Pepanee

Re-sizing A Video To A Width & Height Bigger Than Original

Post by Pepanee »

I know that it's possible to shrink the size of a video's width & height, yet

Is there a way to re-size a video, for example, that is 200 by 100 pixels to 300 by 150 pixels?

Thanks
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Re-sizing A Video To A Width & Height Bigger Than Origin

Post by TedJ »

Generally speaking, no it isn't... at least not with the GUI. It can be done using the CLI version although it's generally not considered to be a good idea.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Rely on the hardware upscaling capabilities of your home entertainment system, instead.
The results are often more acceptable.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

musicvid wrote:The results are often more acceptable.
Not with a 100 pixel tall source!
Devore

Post by Devore »

As others stated, this is only possible through command line, as the GUI prevents you from entering width/height that exceeds the source. The only exception is for cases where the encoded aspect ratio is not the same as the display aspect ratio, mostly seen only in DVDs. Even then, you are still constrained on one of the dimensions, and, arguably (at least according to my reasoning) you are better off down-scaling one of the dimensions to match the target aspect ratio rather then up-scaling the other one.

The reason for this is pretty simple: you can't generate detail out of thin air. Higher resolution implies greater detail. But if you're achieving the higher resolution through upsizing, where is this extra detail coming from? It isn't. There is nothing to be gained from upscaling the encoding, except having to use more bits to encode the result. Use fewer (or the same amount) of bits to encode at the original resolution, and take advantage of probably superior and more suitable resizing features available in your display device.

You would of course make an exception if your target display device is not capable of rescaling the picture.
Pepanee

Post by Pepanee »

Okay cool. Thank you guys.

I guess I'll check out: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide