Jerky Playback playing TV Shows

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jabba

Jerky Playback playing TV Shows

Post by jabba »

hello

i'm having issues when converting Star Trek Voyager Episodes with AppleTV
settings.

after the conversion i get very jumpy ,skipping totaly not smooth video ONLY when there is a computer animation , in example when a star ship flies by or when there is a space battle, all those scenes look like crap like i would be watching it at 3-5 fps ?? !!!!
i tried all different setting and same result
Funny thing is that other scenes in the movie when people walk and talk seems to be ok very smooth no skipping
The show itself on DVD is NTSC Film 23.97 fps.. i leave Framerate ( fps) : section unchanged SAME AS SOURCE but if i change it to NTSC 29 FPS everything is smooth !!! but there is audio sync problem later on in the movie.
I recently bought on iTunes Star Trek Original Remastered and its playing at 23.97 FPS !! and its ALL SMOOTH !!!!

question :
What am i doing wrong ?
and how can i fix that issue?

how can i make a smooth conversion from NTSC Film to NTSC ??

please help
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

You already answered your question - the source is mixed film (live action) and video (CG). HandBrake does not currently deal well with mixed-content source.

Forcing the framerate to 29.97 should have largely alleviated the problem, though I don't know what could have caused the loss of audio sync.

Rodney
jabba

Post by jabba »

Thank You
i will give it a try
jabba

Post by jabba »

the only thing is that i wonder
how come that movies from iTunes are at 23.97 fps and they play just perfect smooth

do i need to apply some Options to encoding to make it smooth at 23.97 ?
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

the CG stuff rhester is talking about is a different frame rate (29.97). When you change the frame rate to 23.98, you must drop 6 frames/sec and it will look choppy. Simple as that.

You may want to look for an encoder that can do frame blending if you really want it to be 23.98 fps.

--sdm.
Jasoco

Post by Jasoco »

When I ripped my 3rd Rock From the Sun episodes, I used 29.976FPS/30FPS on it to get rid of jerky camera pans. As ripping as 24FPS or "Same as Source" was giving me a jerkiness I didn't notice in the DVD itself.

Of course the DVD's video quality is so bad, it only fixed one of the multiple problems. Still... it's on DVD, and it's as good as I'm going to get. ;) (Don't even get me started on the low quality of NewsRadio.)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Jasoco wrote:(Don't even get me started on the low quality of NewsRadio.)
I've been playing around with NewsRadio, and, a version or two down the line, HandBrake will be encoding the show so it looks better than when you play it in DVD Player.app.
ToxycM

Post by ToxycM »

Only the non special effects scenes in voyager are at 24 fps. the frame rate jumps to 30 during the space scenes with the ships in them. Thats why those scenes end up looking jerky when you encode them at 24 fps. I was wrestling with this exact problem a while back and never really found a perfect solution. I even bought the first episode of season 1 on Itunes, which is 24fps, and it has the same jerky space scenes that I was getting. Apple is just using inverse telecine to drop it back to 24 fps as far as I can tell. Using AVI synth and virtual dub on windows I could get the same results with the telecide and decimate filters.
Forcing it to 30 fps and deinterlacing is probably about as good as its going to get with out being able to encode multiple framerates.