[NOVICE] MP4 or MKV ? (last message)

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
pataud

[NOVICE] MP4 or MKV ? (last message)

Post by pataud »

Hello,

Sorry, i come back and i hope i am not going to disturb you too much with my "newbie question". In fact, i tried to do some researches on internet and many people say the best way for ripping a movie is the use of the "AVG Bitrate" option. However, there is a text input where i don't know what i should enter: "AVG Bitrate".

However, is there someone who could explain me how i should do and what i should enter to rip a blu ray movie and to get a good quality. What are the features i should put... If the "constant quality" is a best way, i would use it. If the "AVG Bitrate" is a better way, i would use it.

Here is my current method (please, don't laugh) : I use dvdfab to "break" the zonage from the aboard blurays. Thanks to this software, i copy the movie on my HDD. I get a folder with others subfolders. Then, i launch handbrake and i declare the folder as the source. Afterwards, i just launch the rip. Generally, i use the "high profile" option and i choose the max resolution. I put the "constant quality" to 23. However, when the rip operation is ended, i get a folder with a very big resolution but a poor quality... So please, what should i do for getting a quality near of the one i have when i launch a bluray in my player on the TV.

Thanks you for your help :)

Cordialy,

Pataud

PS: i cannot use the bluray player for reading the movies which come from other countries. In fact, i often find movies which don't have my country zone. I could buy the blurays in my country but the most of them don't exist or they don't contain english subtitles (i try to improve my oral understanding and i need to use the english subtitles when i don't understand).
Last edited by pataud on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Re: [NOVICE] I have a low quality with blu ray

Post by GregiBoy »

Try reducing the CQ until you obtain a result YOU are happy with.
pataud

Post by pataud »

Reducing ? It is not increase ? Are you kidding me Oo ?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

No, he isn't kidding. The higher the CQ, the lower the quality, but with smaller files.

SC
pataud

Post by pataud »

Ok. Sorry for the error. I am gonna try this way.

Thanks to you for your advices.
pataud

Post by pataud »

A last question: what is the best between MKV and MP4 formats ? And why :) ?

Thanks ;)
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

It depends on your target playback device but I favour MKV for the following reasons:-

1. It is widely supported by hardware media players other than iThingys.
2. It allows embedded switchable streams such as multiple Blu-Ray & DVD subtitles and audio tracks
3. It allows embedding of Album Art, etc
4. It is easily manipulated by free multi-platform tools such as MKV Toolnix
5. It is "Open Source" & not restricted by a manufacturer's operating system.

Just my 2c worth. Apple users may or will disagree. :cry:
pataud wrote:A last question: what is the best between MKV and MP4 formats ? And why :) ?

Thanks ;)
pataud

Re: [NOVICE] MP4 or MKV ? (last message)

Post by pataud »

Ok thank you. I tried to add bluray subtitles to mp4 files but it has never worked. Indeed, i often obtain a file with burned-in subtitles and i cannot turn off them. Nevertheless, with DVD subtitles, i can. It will greatly help me.