HandBrake 0.9.9 Discussion

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mike20021969
Experienced

Re: HandBrake 0.9.9 Discussion

Post by mike20021969 »

CoolRaoul wrote: Yesterday i decided to give a try to 0.9.9 release.
0.9.9 is relatively old compared to the latest nightly build:
http://handbrake.fr/nightly.php

I don't know, but your issue could have been fixed already.
CoolRaoul

Post by CoolRaoul »

mike20021969 wrote:
0.9.9 is relatively old compared to the latest nightly build:

http://handbrake.fr/nightly.php

I don't know, but your issue could have been fixed already.
I just have followed the suggested link on the download page (I usually prefers using stable releases)

Gonna give this version a try, stay tuned
CoolRaoul

Post by CoolRaoul »

Just installed and now my presets are not in the preset panel anymore
How can I restore them?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Presets are not transferable between versions. You always have to re-create them.
CoolRaoul

Post by CoolRaoul »

s55 wrote:Presets are not transferable between versions. You always have to re-create them
I always have my preset transferred across versions until now, even when upgrading from 0.9.8 to 0.9.9 (an automatic conversion process had been executed)

I've kept backups of my previous handbrake settings folder for each version.
Maybe should I upgrade to 0.9.9 stable version then install the nighty over it (currently using 0.9.8)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

0.9.9 did not upgrade 0.9.8 presets. Like every other version, it just tries to load them and if the file format hasn't changed much, it can sometimes work. More often than not settings get lost or the meaning of settings changes between versions so you end up with something that isn't actually your preset. If the format changes are more drastic, it just outright fails so you then need to re-create them.

Only built-in presets get upgraded properly.

Long standing issue that needs fixed. It's just not been a priority.
CoolRaoul

Post by CoolRaoul »

s55 wrote:0.9.9 did not upgrade 0.9.8 presets. Like every other version, it just tries to load them and if the file format hasn't changed much, it can sometimes work. More often than not settings get lost or the meaning of settings changes between versions so you end up with something that isn't actually your preset. If the format changes are more drastic, it just outright fails so you then need to re-create them.
It seem to have partially worked for me:
The following popup appeared when upgrading from 0.9.8 to 0.9.9
even if the popup is saying the custom presets have not been upgraded, at least they still present in the preset tab.

But, after having restored my 0.9.8 setting folder then installed the nightly, when launching it I don't have the popup about built-in preset conversion and my custom ones seem to be simply erased without notice.

Only built-in presets get upgraded properly.

Long standing issue that needs fixed. It's just not been a priority.
Solved by exporting my preferred preset (mainly using this one), upgrading then importing the .plist file.
Now I'm going to convert the same file to check this srt timeshift problem.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

at least they still present in the preset tab.
Being present doesn't really help if it's wrong. It's luck of the draw and what settings were stored whether it'll be OK after an upgrade.
Even Plist inport/export needs to be checked. (it's generally more robust at import/export errors than the internal xml format, but if the settings keys chanage, it should just outright ignore that setting and continue) Basically, if you import from a different version. It may or may not appear to work and should definitelybe checked for correctness before encoding.
CoolRaoul

Post by CoolRaoul »

s55 wrote:Being present doesn't really help if it's wrong. It's luck of the draw and what settings were stored whether it'll be OK after an upgrade.
Even Plist inport/export needs to be checked. (it's generally more robust at import/export errors than the internal xml format, but if the settings keys chanage, it should just outright ignore that setting and continue) Basically, if you import from a different version. It may or may not appear to work and should definitelybe checked for correctness before encoding.
I understand but the problem is, to reproduce the bug, I'ts better to use as much as possible exactly the same preset.

If either upgrading and export/import is not reliable, it's becoming a bit difficult do this by hand without being sure not having made any mistake?

Anyway, the conversion process has now finished and, unfortunately, I'm still having that subtitle timeshift bug (seem even worse!)

Here's the link to the conversion activity log:
http://pastebin.com/vvD386t7
Last edited by CoolRaoul on Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
multimiler

Post by multimiler »

This is my first post, and let me start with a big THANK YOU for Handbrake! I've been using MKV and Handbrake to rip all my DVD and Blu-Ray disks to mp4 for installation in my media library. So far, I've ripped about 400 DVDs and about 30 Blu-Ray disks. Takes a fair amount of time, but the MKV and Handbrake tools take much of the complexity out of the equation. The resulting RIPs are great!

Once again, Thank You for your work on Handbrake.