HandBrake 0.9.9 Discussion

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Self

Re: HandBrake 0.9.9 Discussion

Post by Self »

@ s55: Oh, I didn’t realize that you had trouble keeping it (since it appeared in the previous versions). I thought you just chucked it because you guys thought it to be redundant and that’s it. Fair enough.

@ Smithcraft: except for the .flv file issue I mention. I just wanted to show that there are uses for the target file size that I haven’t seen anybody discuss yet.

Don’t get my wrong, I’m not angry or fighting with anybody, I just really miss the target file size feature. I still love HandBrake and the great job you guys do!!!!

Keep up the good work.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

It was removed from the nightlies over a year and a half ago, and it was removed from the 'stable release' in 0.9.6.

Setting a file size to be the same as the source doesn't really do anything but tell a more advanced codec to waste space. You aren't going to get a silk purse from a sow's ear! Case in point, you want to preserve quality, but want to do it the wrong way. Much like AAC is more efficient than MP3, you can get nearly transparent* quality in a smaller file by using CQ rather than ABR/CBR.

If you want to use target filesize, then use a bitrate calculator and plug in the number in the ABR value. Or if on Windows, you can use VidCoder.

SC

*In the theory that all transcoding results in a loss of some quality, be it audio or video.
Pawnslinger
Novice

Post by Pawnslinger »

I have been using 0.9.9 for about a week now, and I am impressed. Kudos to the folks doing all the work on the development. I am finally back to using 1 version!!! I had been using different versions for DVD and BD... but now, this does both in one package (better than either version I was using before).

The new UI is very nice, I can only think of nitpicks... I miss the status bar that used to crawl along the bottom of the window, but I suspect it was removed to make more room for other things. That is the only nit I could find, hardly worth worrying about, since everything else is EXCELLENT!!
:D
LEKOVISION

Post by LEKOVISION »

Hey there, this is my first posting on this forum.

First I'd like to congratulate everyone involved in making SUCH an amazing little converter program. It has truly come in very handy pretty much anytime i'm editing a project and need a compressed / smaller version.

I just installed the latest version 0.9.9 and do have 2 complaints:

1 - WHY was the target size feature removed??

The ability to not have to worry about converting to kpbs and know your intended MB target size WAS so handy.

I am glad that I have the older version and will not use the newer version until that feature is put back on. I don't see the sense or the point in removing that handy feature.

2 - Why is there no updated toggle presets that reflect Iphone 5 and other current (as of 2013) smart phones and tablets for video sizes / codecs etc? Having these presets would make converting alot easier and faster for your users.

Great product, but please address these 2 issues!

Warm Regards,

Richard
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Smithcraft wrote:And yet all the reasons for removing the target file size option have been covered in the big, and locked, target file size thread. In particular there is this post from one of the developers that explains the overall situation.

Also, there are links to bitrate calculators all over the place.

SC
rahulwebtech

Post by rahulwebtech »

Nice
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

LEKOVISION wrote:2 - Why is there no updated toggle presets that reflect Iphone 5 and other current (as of 2013) smart phones and tablets for video sizes / codecs etc? Having these presets would make converting alot easier and faster for your users.
Because they are already covered by the current suite of presets. Additional presets would just be different names on the same settings you can get in the existing presets. e.g. iPhone 5 == iPhone & iPod touch.
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

Pawnslinger wrote:I miss the status bar that used to crawl along the bottom of the window, but I suspect it was removed to make more room for other things.
What's in it's place?
Pawnslinger
Novice

Post by Pawnslinger »

mike20021969 wrote:
Pawnslinger wrote:I miss the status bar that used to crawl along the bottom of the window, but I suspect it was removed to make more room for other things.
What's in it's place?
Well, I haven't done a complete inventory... but the new version has bigger window pane already with lots of new information compared to the old version I was using.

If they can get the status bar back, I think that would be wonderful, if not, I am a happy camper with the UI as is.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'm confused, the status bar is still there. It shows encode progress when you have an encode running. If your not seeing that, can you upload a screenshot to somewhere and provide the link
Pawnslinger
Novice

Post by Pawnslinger »

s55 wrote:I'm confused, the status bar is still there. It shows encode progress when you have an encode running. If your not seeing that, can you upload a screenshot to somewhere and provide the link
Is it really necessary. Perhaps a better description of the issue will help. In the old version I was using there was a status bar that crawled along the bottom of the pane. The status bar is still there, but now it displays the progess information in textual format only, the progess meter portion is no longer displayed. I can easily provide a screen shot, if I knew how to upload it here. But it seems silly to have to prove what seems obvious to me. This happened when the UI was ported to the new programming paradyme... the old method had the progress meter, the new one never did, I first noticed it when I started using Nightlies for BD to get the subtitles.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Ah yeh, no progress meter any more. Seemd kind of redundant really. Don't really have any objections to adding one back in if there's demand for it
Pawnslinger
Novice

Post by Pawnslinger »

s55 wrote:Ah yeh, no progress meter any more. Seemd kind of redundant really. Don't really have any objections to adding one back in if there's demand for it

I probably miss it more than most... so I am unsure what others may think about it. I am sight challanged, my vision is around 20/800 or worse, uncorrectable. Well, this means I need a magnifying glass to read most text on-screen.... even this I am typing without being able to read what I am typing, nor the keyboard. So I double check with the magnifyer after I am finished. Anyhow, I could see the progress meter without picking up the magnifyer.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@pawnslinger -> well, it's back. Grab tomorrows nightly which should have it.
Self

Post by Self »

Some thoughts on 0.9.9 (I’ve skipped a couple of updates, so some things might be more relevant to previous versions)

What I like:
1. The interface
2. Ready set Templates for “x264 tune” under video tab like animation and so on
3. If you choose preview, your previous scene and seconds is already chosen and you don’t need to choose it again
4. In preview, you can now choose longer than 60 seconds

Bugs, problems and dislikes:
A. No popup explanation if you hover your mouse over avg bitrate (kbps) under the video tab. What is a fair value to type in here?

B. It seems that if you have a couple of entries in the queue list (lets say 3) and you select one to be edited and after editing you send it back to the queue list, then there are now 4 entries instead of 3.

C. I note that the entries in the queue list don’t display the full source and destination path. This makes it difficult to choose the correct one in the list to edit especially if all the entries in the list have the same file name nl. you’re compressing different video files, but all have the same name. Lets say all video files are named “X”. This is not a problem, because they are in different folders, but when you want to compress all with HandBrake, you get a queue list which all the entries display as “source: x and destination X”. So now you remember that one of them you forgot to change the destination folder before adding it to the queue list. If all of them look the same in the queue list how do you pick the right one?

D. If I pause the queue being encoded, but before the current encoding is finished I press start again, I get an error message and the HandBrake interface shows that encoding has finished, but in actual fact the CPU usage shows that HandBrake is still encoding. What happens then is that HandBrake finishes encoding the current job and pauses, instead of going on encoding with the rest of the entries in the queue list.

E. A 20 sec preview option would be nice. No major problem, just feel that a jump from 10 to 30 is a bit much. I think I would use 20 the most.

F. The missing progress bar as mentioned before (see this is now back via nightly).

Hope that the above helps.
PS. I have XP SP3.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Self wrote:Bugs, problems and dislikes:
A. No popup explanation if you hover your mouse over avg bitrate (kbps) under the video tab. What is a fair value to type in here?
"Use CRF"
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

I was using 0.9.8 happily and recently updated to the updated 0.9.9-1. There's so many things that don't seem to be working right that I just went back to 0.9.8. I'm a novice at video encoding, so I don't feel comfortable filing bug reports, but hopefully someone can confirm some of these issues. I'm using Windows 7 x64.

The output I have been using is .mp4, x264, constant quality, variable framerate, AAC.

I had an anamorphic video (PAR and DAR different) with black bars top and bottom. VLC played the original at the correct aspect ratio. 0.9.9 output in VLC had the wrong aspect ratio and the automatic cropping didn't seem right. I tried playing with custom crop settings and custom anamorphic settings to get the aspect ratio right, but gave up after 3 tries. Went back to 0.9.8 and automatic cropping and strict anamorphic worked flawlessly.

While troubleshooting that problem, I uninstalled 0.9.9-1 and cleaned out all references to Handbrake, then re-installed 0.9.9-1. I saved a new custom preset and noticed that it was using an .m4v extension instead of .mp4 for the mp4 container. I pushed a bunch of buttons and flipped a bunch of switches but couldn't figure out what was making it use the .m4v extension. Yes, I know VLC can open .m4v, but I don't like software willy-nilly making changes like that. I know you can force .mp4 file extension in the preferences, but you shouldn't have to "force" something like this.

I want to say I also had some problems updating custom presets, but that issue could be either real or imagined after dealing with the two issues above.

I have since gone back to 0.9.8. The x264 preset was nice (for a novice), but not worth the rest of the hassle.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

There is a preference setting to force mp4 or m4v, or leave it automatic. Therefore, nothing is done willy-nilly. Since you may have put things in the file that do not allow it to be a proper mp4, then Handbrake makes it an m4v. Since you didn't post a log we can't know what you did that might have made Handbrake automatically select m4v.

Updating of custom presets is not supported, so they need to be rebuilt, as Handbrake uses a different set up for presets now.

SC
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just also note, that if your using Custom Anamorphic, you have to work it all out by hand. There no automatic calculation that 0.9.8 had. It'll be back at some point but it's a low priority feature so it's acting in a passthru mode now.

0.9.8 had wonky calculations for custom anamorphic that could throw things out sometimes also.
ludwig

Post by ludwig »

With 0.9.9 has the method for handling subtitles changed? I was looking in the manual and it references the 'foreign audio search' which i no longer see.

I have a mkv with a bunch of subtitles available but I only want the english forced to be burned in. I know I'd done this in the past but the checkboxes for both don't seem to be active for any of the subtitle tracks.
ludwig

Post by ludwig »

Nevermind. I found another post referencing the types of subtitles that could and could not be burned in. this file has utf-8 so I have to find some other alternative.
pgbennett

Post by pgbennett »

I recently upgraded to 0.9.9. I am using HandBrakeCLI under Ubuntu Linux for transcoding TV shows and movies, and there is a huge performance improvement. It is taking only about 50% of the time it took before, and also making better use of multiple cores. Now I can get each movie encoded quicker by running two instances of HandBrakeCLI at the same time, where before I had to run 4 instances of HandBrakeCLI to get throughput that was half as good as it is now. One slower computer with only 2 cores, running one HandBrakeCLI at a time was taking from 7:30 AM to 3 AM or 5 AM next day to encode 80 GB of videos. Now it is finished around 8 PM the same day.

These are the settings I use - Is there an explanation for the improvement in speed? Quality and size of encoded file have not changed. The value I use for $QUALITY is 26, 28 or 30.

HandBrakeCLI -i "$INFILE" -o "$OUTFILE" -f mkv -e x264 --x264-preset superfast --x264-profile high --x264-tune film -q $QUALITY -E copy \
--audio-fallback ffac3 -w $COLS -l $ROWS --decomb -s 1

Great job, thankyou ! keep up the good work. HandBrake is way ahead of anything else for encoding video.
davidr1983

Post by davidr1983 »

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Previously with 0.9.8 i've been encoding blu-rays quite happily with dimensions 1280x720, and I guess internally it's setting the PAR width/height such that it plays with the original aspect ratio (after cropping!). Quickly skipping over the question of is this a wise thing to do etc, is there any way to get 0.9.9 to do this ? It seems like the only choice now is to set the PAR manually.

Thanks!
David
fganter

Thank You for the multiple improvements for Blurays

Post by fganter »

Multiple thank you's at the moment:
- for adding better bluray audio support (several months ago)
- for the improved UI (from a couple months ago)
- for fixing the issue with the "Source" button not reading blurays
- for starting to incorporate subtitles from bluray disks
- for the 64-bit version

Lots a positive momentum.

Keep it up!

Thanks,
Fred
CoolRaoul

Post by CoolRaoul »

Hi to all,

I'm using Handbrake 64bits on Windows platform.

Yesterday i decided to give a try to 0.9.9 release.

I unfortunately had to revert to previous one I was using
(0.9.8-x86_64) because issues I'm facing with imported subtitles (.srt).

When watching the resultant mkv files I have noticed subtitles offset being
progressively "shifted" over time from start to end of the movie (there's
already a small delay at start which increase over time)

I'm using handbrake to mix .ts files and associated subtitles previously
converted from adsl box TV recordings by "TS-Doctor" application.

It's still works perfectly with 0.9.8. version.

Heres links to the activity logs
Made with 0.9.8: http://pastebin.com/a9QxNA33
Made with 0.9.9: http://pastebin.com/HujEzd7P