HandBrake 0.9.9 Discussion

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake 0.9.9 Discussion

Post by randomreuben »

Mad props. Thank you!
valentijn

Post by valentijn »

valentijn wrote:I am not using the x264 presets or built in presets.
I am using a custom preset, that is not linked to a x264 preset.

0.9.8: http://pastebin.com/Q10JqG2m
0.9.9: http://pastebin.com/QTSAQvD8

I also notice that, although that profile is the same, in 0.9.8 the output was deinterlaced. In 0.9.9 the output is interlaced.
Has the profile been upgraded properly?
Turns out the profiles aren't upgraded?
The upgrade did change my profile, but for some reason it doesn't do deinterlacing with CLI anymore (h264).
In 0.9.8 I did *not* specify any decomb or deinterlace filters in the GUI, but still it sent --decomb to CLI.
After after to 0.9.9 the --decomb didn't get sent to x264 anymore.
So I had to explicitly set it to 'Default' in the GUI, and after that the --decomb was sent to CLI again.
After that the performance is about the same, turns out decomb costs me about 45% performance! :shock: :shock:
grablife

The UI took a step backwards

Post by grablife »

The UI took a big step backwards in usability.

1. When encoding titles with multiple chapters, I used to be able to select chapter 1 - 1 and hit encode. From there I could simply change the beginning chapter to 2 and the end would automatically change to 2. Now with this version, I must manually change the ending chapter to 2 each time as it stays on 1. It makes no sense to encode chapter 2 - 1. That's an additional 2 unnecessary mouse clicks for every chapter. Some TV series are 10 episodes (chapters) per disk. Fixed in HandBrake-svn5522_i686-Win_GUI.exe

2. In the Queue window, the menu has been removed and the user has to know to use right click. Not too user friendly for new users.

3. In the Queue window, I used to be able to see the source and target folder structure. Now it's gone so if I queue up many disks and come back to continue, I have no idea where I left off. Fixed in HandBrake-svn5522_i686-Win_GUI.exe

4. If I pause the encode, I don't get a confirmation msg. Something happens and it appears to stop encoding even though it continues to finish the current job. A few times, clicking X to delete the job did not update the Queue window. No matter how many times I clicked it, it still showed the job but it appears to have been deleted. Fixed in HandBrake-svn5522_i686-Win_GUI.exe
Last edited by grablife on Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@grablife

1. That's a bug, not a deliberate design change.
2. Some of the windows were tidy'd up a bit. For the most part people are not using the import/export queue, or clearing so it didn't make sense to clutter up the UI with buttons.
3. That's something that people moaned about in the old GUI, The argument was that it was too hard to see the filename with long file paths.
Maybe adding the full path/filename to the tooltip for each record might be a good middle point.
4. Sounds like a bug, not deliberate design change again.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

1, 3 (via tooltip) and I think 4 also are now fixed.

Note that as with 0.9.8 Queue pause will still continue the existing job. This is because there is no way to actually pause encoding, and killing the process kills the file so it's an air on the side of caution and just let that one job finish safely.
Something that will be fixed if/when the gui migration to using libhb is completed rather than using a separate cli process.
grablife

Post by grablife »

4 is definitely a bug. I previously thought it was deleting and just not updating the queue but I just tried again and clicking delete does nothing in some cases. I know it's still there because it won't let me submit a replacement job. I had to edit it to get rid of it.
valentijn

Post by valentijn »

5: edit queued encoded loses start and end time
A Queue an encode with a specifed start- and end-time in seconds
B In the queue window click on edit this encode.
C Click yes to send it to the front window
D Observe that the start and end time are missing (might also happen for chapters?)

So if you want to change something in the encode and requeue it, youll have to re-enter start and end time (which is a pain because you can't tab from hours->minutes->seconds).
That's when you have written the start/endtime down on paper.
Or recalculate hh:mm:ss back from the number of seconds mentioned in the queue window.
grablife

Post by grablife »

Fixed in HandBrake-svn5522_i686-Win_GUI.exe
More problems with the queue window.

It used to show encoding status even after you pause the queue. Now, if you pause the queue, the encoding status disappears giving the impression encoding has stopped when it's actually ongoing. You have to go look in the main window to see the status.

Clicking Start in the queue window results in this ugly message

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occured. 
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: HandBrake is already encodeing.
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.Encode.Start(QueueTask encodeQueueTask, Boolean enableLogging) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGUI\0.9.9\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\Encode.cs:line 206
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.EncodeServiceWrapper.Start(QueueTask job, Boolean enableLogging) in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGUI\0.9.9\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\EncodeServiceWrapper.cs:line 190
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.QueueProcessor.ProcessNextJob() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGUI\0.9.9\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\QueueProcessor.cs:line 601
   at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.QueueProcessor.Start() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGUI\0.9.9\win\CS\HandBrake.ApplicationServices\Services\QueueProcessor.cs:line 439
   at HandBrakeWPF.ViewModels.QueueViewModel.StartEncode() in c:\HandBrake\Hudson\workspace\Release_WindowsGUI\0.9.9\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\ViewModels\QueueViewModel.cs:line 308
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.<.cctor>b__d(ActionExecutionContext context) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 263
   at Caliburn.Micro.ActionMessage.Invoke(Object eventArgs) in C:\Projects\Blue Spire\Caliburn.Micro\src\Caliburn.Micro.Silverlight\ActionMessage.cs:line 227
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.TriggerBase.InvokeActions(Object parameter)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.EventTriggerBase.OnEvent(EventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Interactivity.EventTriggerBase.OnEventImpl(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Now the main windows will say encoding has stopped but it's actually still going as my cpu is still at 100% and the file size is increasing. So now the queue is stopped and there seems to be no way to restart it until the current encode is finished.

Very messy.
Last edited by grablife on Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Grab a nightly build grablife, it's most just bug fixes for now. That one should be fixed.
Self

Post by Self »

Hi,

Just updated from V0.9.5 to 0.9.9. It seems that the 'desired file size' option under the video tab has been removed. I don't know why, because I used it a lot and found it very handy.

It would be great if I see it again in future updates, please bring it back.

Thanks for a wonderful program.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

It went away some time ago.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23912

You could try VidCoder if you're using Windows.

SC
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Or, ask yourself, do I actually need to target filesize, or do I want a more optimal solution? Vidcoders target filesize calc has all the same problems as older HandBrakes.

I don't understand why people want to target a filesize, when they can have smaller encodes at a significantly quicker encode time. Find a CQ that works for you, stick to that, done.
Just as an example, if I used a target filesize to keep things consistent, I'd throw away ~60GB per 100 videos in my collection.
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

s55 wrote: I don't understand why people want to target a filesize, when they can have smaller encodes at a significantly quicker encode time.
Indeed. I always use CQ now.

But regardless of MB savings, surely it's down to personal choice how someone wants to encode?
Possibly why it's in VidCoder.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The people that [Censored] about it not being accurate are much worse than folks moaning about it not being there. It seems a lot of people have switched after realizing how much better CQ is.
narutoaustx

Post by narutoaustx »

Thanks for all the Great Work... :D

My system:
i7 920 2.67Ghz
Win 7 64 bit
16gb RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 275

Previous Handbrake (HB) - 0.9.8 64bit

Some comments on the new 0.9.9 Release

1) The Autoupdate option updated my older version (64bit) to the 0.9.9 (32bit) - So I had to manually download the 64bit and reinstall

2) Previously I would be able to run Potplayer while also simultaneously running HB and Potplayer would run smoothly (default to use my Graphic Card GTX 275). Occasionally Potplayer would stutter when running highbit 1080p MKVs. With HB 0.9.9, Potplayer would now stutter on even low resolution 480p MKVs. No other settings have been changed. The only difference is the new version of HB.

3) Prefer older UI - More intuitive and more information is provided without having to go to FAQ or support to find answers.

4) The new Queue page lacks information about the files that are being encoded (or queued) such as which chapter(s), Audio Stream, etc.

5) Will have to go back and re-encode some Blurays to burn in the Forced Subtitle (hopefully it works :)

Thanks for a Great Piece of Software... :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

1) Not sure what happened there, It might be that an older build is looking at the wrong appcast.

2) Try setting the process priority even lower in options. Some bottlenecks are fixed so it may be that 0.9.8 wasn't able to fully utilize your CPU, but 0.9.9 is (good thing) and just your player isn't getting enough CPU time.

3) More information?

4) Check the tooltips. I went with the, less clutter so you can see at a glance what's encoding rather than have the entire screen taken up with a ton of information. The tooltip contains more info.
Been tempted to add a expander onto each row that expands and shows more details and/or improving the tooltip with additional info.

Check out the nightly builds, I've been fixing things and making changes according to feedback. It's a complete UI re-write so theres bound to be more issues than older releases.
narutoaustx

Post by narutoaustx »

Hello s55,

I am still playing / navigating through the new 0.9.9 interface, so if I have mistakenly commented on something that is available, please forgive me.. :D

2) I did not change the priority from the previous install. The 0.9.8 was using variable amount of CPU but usually almost all available CPU when it needed it. The amount of CPU varies depending upon the file being converted. Potplayer uses almost NO CPU (usually less than 2% - Which is what I like) since it is set to use the capability of the Graphics Card.

Does Handbrake use the Graphics Card in processing video?

BTW, I used to be able to run VLC somewhat smoothly while also running 0.9.8. However, with 0.9.9, VLC stutters and shows pixelations alot more. That's why I run Potplayer when I am running HB... :D

4) I convert a lot of Anime which has separate episodes / chapters. The queue list used to show which chapter(s) is already in the queue which is helpful since having to select each chapter from the Disc list to process I sometimes forget which I have already selected.

That would be great to be able to add / select what is displayed in the queue page.

New point. Is there an option to resize the HB main window (also the queue in 0.9.9) ?
WinstonSmith

Post by WinstonSmith »

Hi, great work - we appreciate it.

Question: There was one more preset for older iPhones/iPod Touch devices in 0.9.8 that is now gone from 0.9.9. How can I get that back? I don't remember the details, but that was the best preset for playing videos using Wii Media Center (homebrew). I'm not sure what the exact issue is, I don't suspect it's picture size, but probably framerate ... but whatever it is, the new presets all lock up that device. Not particularly asking to troubleshoot that, I'd be just fine with the previous preset, even if I have to jump through hoops to manually configure it.

Thanks.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

WinstonSmith wrote:Question: There was one more preset for older iPhones/iPod Touch devices in 0.9.8 that is now gone from 0.9.9. How can I get that back?
Forum search is your friend... at the very least you could have checked the first page in the Devices subforum.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27402
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Update: A patch release for the WinGui has been uploaded that fixes a few of the more annoying issues caused by the GUI re-write. If your not having problems, there isn't any need to upgrade, but if you've seen issues, try the new build. The core engine is still 0.9.9

There's still a number of minor things and other improvements that I want to make but I'm not going to roll them out until the next release. As always, if you want the latest and greatest, the nightly builds are there.
Self

Post by Self »

I note that with the latest version there is no more a red status bar indicating the progress of decoding (it might be red because of my windows theme, don’t know if it’s red for everybody). With the red bar it was possible to see from afar what the progress of decoding is. Now I have to walk up to the screen to read the percentage that has already been decoded. For that reason I think it is not only better to bring back the red status bar, but also to even make it bigger.
Self

Post by Self »

***Sorry, after posting I realize that I rather should have posted this at "suggest a new feature" post, but I can't delete it now so here it is***

Most features if you hover your mouse over them a popup appears explaining what that feature is (I don’t know what it’s called). However, there is no such popup over the avg. bitrate feature under the video tab. I can guess what it is, but I have no idea of what is a good setting to type in there. An explanatory popup here would be great.
Self

Post by Self »

I note that the “What happened to the Target Size quality option topic is now locked, so I’m just going to post this here. You can reject it if you like.

Why limit the ways different people can use the program? If you’re worried about a cluttered interface, just hide the features you think not a lot of people use, then those who really want can still use it.

There are plenty of reasons why I used the desired file size feature, most notably because it was a great time saver. Trying different settings and after every setting change having to wait for the preview to decode is wasting a lot of time just to save a couple of MB on a file. I would rather spend that time next to the pool – you know living my life rather than waiting for previews to decode.
Eg. – you just finished watching a movie. It’s already late and you want to go to bed. In the morning you want to movie compressed. So you just set the desired file size, because you can’t keep your eyes open to try out this setting or that setting. I’d rather just set the desired file size to 800mb (or whatever I like). I don’t care if it takes up a bit more space, because it’s a good movie and I just want to go on with my life. It might be true that over time I could have saved 60GB, but I rather just buy a new hard drive, think how much time that 60Gb represents finding that perfect setting that will compress the file to its maximum. I realize that for you who eat, drink and breathe HandBrake, that perfect setting can be found real quickly, but what you need to realize is that there is a whole lot of people out there with different needs and circumstances. Some can’t spend a whole day learning what each setting does, because, for example, work keeps them too busy, and others have slow computers and others don’t use HandBrake that much and so on and so on. The point being, rather give more options recognizing that there are different needs out there to use Handbrake, rather than wanting to dictate of how you think people should use HandBrake. More choice rather than less, caters for the variety that exist out there.

Another reason I also used to use the desired file size is when I get my hands on .flv files. Because it is already compressed, sometimes the video is so bad to look at, because of blocking and video noise. So what I did is just set the same file size as the original .flv file (you can’t hope to compress it even more) and activate the deblock and denoise filters and the result is a file with the same file size, but which is much better to look at.

Now, I note that some suggested that to use the constant quality feature or CQ is just such a time saver. Well I beg to differ and besides even if it is, how will this help me with the .flv files. Now I have to guess what constant quality setting will give me the same file size. The result is usually a smaller file size that looks even worse even with the deblock and denoise filter on, or a much larger file that still looks crap.

The third reason I used the desired file size option is, because it gave me access to the 2 pass encoding. I know you could get this through the avg. bitrate option, but I have no idea what to type in there, so it was easier just to use the desired file size option. Again it comes down to personal preference even if it is just because you are stupid or too lazy to read the HansBrake user guide, but I still think more options are better than less.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

When a feature doesn't do what it says it does, people get insanely angry at us. The fact is the Target Fileisize has big problems and since none of the developers ever use it and the difficultly in fixing it, it was better to ditch it than keep it.

Quality based encoding negates the need for 2 pass encoding. You are not losing anything by not doing it.

It really is as simple as pick a quality level that you are happy with and stick with it. You don't really need to adjust it for every encoding. Usually RF 20, 19 or 18 is sufficient for the vast majority.
Since you don't care about space wasted, does it really matter if some come out bigger and some smaller?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

And yet all the reasons for removing the target file size option have been covered in the big, and locked, target file size thread. In particular there is this post from one of the developers that explains the overall situation.

Also, there are links to bitrate calculators all over the place.

SC