OT: Is there a comparable file conversion app for Windows?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
JerkyChew

OT: Is there a comparable file conversion app for Windows?

Post by JerkyChew »

The subject length was limited so it might not make much sense. Let me explain:

I'm wondering if there's an app that's comparable to Handbrake's usability, but will allow me to convert files from one format to another? Say, raw MPEG to XVID AVI or H.264? I've used insanely complicated free apps like Gordian Knot, as well as non-free apps like AVS Video Converter. AVS was decent but didn't seem to be as user friendly as Handbrake (And it wasn't open source).

Handbrake is an awesome product, but it only lets me convert from DVDs or DVD images. I'd prefer a Windows product, but if there's a Linux app that isn't rediculously complicated, I could put it on my MythTV backend server.

I know this is off-topic but I figured it's the best place to ask this type of question. Please lock if this post is a no-no.

Thanks.
m1t0s1s

Post by m1t0s1s »

vlc's (videolan) trancoding wizard does this.
http://www.videolan.org/

You might need to rip with dvd decrypter first, then open the vob files.

Also the "partial extract" option only accepts time in seconds, not h:m:s

Is autogk easier?
Lant
Novice

Post by Lant »

You could also try mediacoder.
It is a bit complicated but I'm sure some of the people on their forum will help you.
m1t0s1s

Post by m1t0s1s »

as well there is:
  • avidemux (doesn't rip; very nice and fast multiplatform wxwindows/gtk interfaces, excellent post-ripping filters)

vidomi encodes mpeg4 (doesn't rip; uses xvid; their website has said x264 is coming for two years now :roll: )

videora (doesn't rip, video ipod app, which means it is h.264)

megui

staxrip