20Gb file to a single dvd5

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
doublej70

Re: 20Gb file to a single dvd5

Post by doublej70 »

The assertion that TARGET SIZE didn't work or worked badly is absurd. I have performed some 300 rips of both BD and DVD sources and can tell you that it works just fine. I suggest you locate and download version 9.5 which I believe is the last version it was available.

Here are my critical settings that have a proven tract record:
OUTPUT CONTAINER: MP4 - Large File size checked
PICTURE: Keep aspect Ratio box- (checked). Height x Width (same as source) Anamorphic (none) Modulus (16) Cropping (automatic)
VIDEO FILTERS: (ALL OFF)
VIDEO: H.264, Framerate - same as source
*****************When setting up the target size I suggest 1gb per hour of video for HD video which provides an excellent quality. So a BD content of 1hr 45 min would translate to 1750mb target size. Now to be clear, the final size will most likely be a little larger or a little smaller but it will be very close to what you select.
AUDIO: I recommend NOT using AC3 AUDIO PASSTHROUGH. Although AC3 passthrough may create a smaller file, some players/older tvs cannot properly process the ac3 tract. Instead, go with AAC & MIXDOWN dolby Pro Logic II for a higher level of compatibility unless you have a 6+ channel home theatre arrangement at which point you may want to go with the 6 channel discrete mixdown.
SUBTITLES: my preference is only to use forced only & burned in for movies that have foreign segments (like the godfather for instance).

My encodes work flawlessly with ios, android, ATV2 (jailbroken), Sony media player, and every divx player
I use Slysoft AnyDVDHD for decryption on the fly.

Hope this helps
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

doublej70 wrote: Now to be clear, the final size will most likely be a little larger or a little smaller but it will be very close to what you select.
This was one of the reasons why target bitrate was dropped: due to the inherent unpredictable length of VFR sources we couldn't reliably hit a selected target size with an error of less than +/- 5%, which we received numerous complaints about on the forums. This will only become more difficult as new features such as VBR audio are introduced.
AUDIO: I recommend NOT using AC3 AUDIO PASSTHROUGH. Although AC3 passthrough may create a smaller file, some players/older tvs cannot properly process the ac3 tract. Instead, go with AAC & MIXDOWN dolby Pro Logic II for a higher level of compatibility unless you have a 6+ channel home theatre arrangement at which point you may want to go with the 6 channel discrete mixdown.
I most cases, selected AC3 passthrough will result in a larger file, as most AC3 5.1 tracks are either 384 or 448 kbps.
My encodes work flawlessly with ios, android, ATV2 (jailbroken), Sony media player, and every divx player
Are you sure about that last one? Last time I checked, standard DivX is MPEG4 ASP video in an AVI container.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

And also most older devices will not play AAC. The safe bet is MP3.

I haven't found any devices other than iThingys that will not play AC-3 as suggested and they will if you compose the file correctly.
doublej70

Post by doublej70 »

My suggestions were not meant to offend anyone, they simply work for me. I am very new to the forum and apologize for not having yet learned the ability to quote each of your remarks and have simply summarized my responses by topic.

AUDIO:
AC3-The files I ripped early on were using ac3 passthrough. Those files, when played through my ATV2 work fine on my newer JVC LCD but when I play the same file using my older Vizio I get a loud shreeking tone and no other audio. Both tv's are connected via HDMI. I presumed the older tv was the cause as everything else in the configuration is the same other than the tv. You mentioned MP3 Is the safest bet and I won't argue with that. May I ask if MP3 allows for multizone stereo or is it only 2 channel?

DivX: I am only sure about the fact that I have several DivX dvd players that play the files I have generated. My Sony SMP-100 (also DivX) plays the files. Perhaps these players simply have the ability to play the MP4's and the Divx has nothing to do with it. If I mispoke, I apologize. I am only speaking from what has been working for me. Thanks for setting the record straight from a technical perspective.

TARGET SIZE: I appreciate that you couldn't hit a target size right on so you believe it is better to simply eliminate it. Personally I have found that the files, no matter what size I choose never exceed 100mb more than I set it to. So If I want to keep a file under 4gb for a fat32 drive I simply set it at 3900, but in my case I wouldn't do that unless the movie was nearly 4 hrs long which very few are (LORD OF THE RINGS EXTENDED IS CLOSE). In any case, while not perfect it has been very predictable for me. Obviously you have very good technical reasons why it has been pulled because you have established a set of values that make such inaccuracy unacceptable but Please appreciate that the reason so many people keep asking is because a large population of users want the feature even given the shortfalls. I appreciate that it would be frustrating to include a feature you don't feel works well enough only to get a lot of complaints about it. Who wants to hear complaints? BUT so long as people understand to allow an extra 100mb beyond the setting, then they will adjust accordingly. It is better to have the choice knowing it may not work rather than not having the choice at all. Again, this is my opinion and based upon my use of the program. Have you ever considered offering the feature with a clear disclaimer? Would you be willing to put it up as a vote?

Thanks for hearing me out and also for taking the time to respond.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Once again I'd like to point out that average bitrate encoding, alongside one of the many video bitrate calculators available online or for download, will allow you to continue targeting a specific file size.