Playback of Files

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
RaySmith

Playback of Files

Post by RaySmith »

I am new to Handbrake, not a techie and your "Must read to get questions answered ....... scared the life out of me but here goes.

I wanted software that would let me rip DVD's onto my Seagate GoFlex drive so I could play them back when I travel.

I tried convering a DVD but could only convert to MP4, which my media player - Windows - does not support.

I then tried setting the "Output Settings" to ipad and tried again but my Ipad 3 did not recognise the m4v file produced.

Help Please

Ray Smith
Deleted User 13735

Re: Playback of Files

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You must have an old system?
The mp4 codec for Windows Media Player is a free download.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Please be so kind as to post a log for an mp4 that WMP won't play, and for a m4v that the iPad will not recognize.

SC
RaySmith

Post by RaySmith »

Please tell me how I attach a log file to my reply - nothing in the FAQ's on this. The logs are very long so I assumed that you did not want me just to paste them into my response?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

RaySmith wrote:Please tell me how I attach a log file to my reply - nothing in the FAQ's on this. The logs are very long so I assumed that you did not want me just to paste them into my response?
Paste them into your response between tags.
RaySmith

Re: Playback of Files - wihout log

Post by RaySmith »

Sorry I am obviously too dim for this site I looked up the instructions for sending a log and noted your advice about but cannot understand what you mean does the code go into the brackets or between the brackets. I tried it without the majic [] but it did not send, I will try again:

My first attempt had the output as normal and MP4 as the type. My windows 7 media player has the required codex which I just updated. The file would load but both the video and audio were frgmented, Log 1 below.

I then tried setting output to ipad, the file was rejected by my ipad, log 2.

I will send the code separately in case it fails to go again and you think I have given up
RaySmith

Re: Playback of Files with Code

Post by RaySmith »

I am lost. My log code was not accepted I got the message "your code contains too few characters" what on earth does that mean? The code I sent had hundreds of characters?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Click on the button that says "Full Editor." Click on the button that says Code. The cursor will be placed in between the code blocks. Paste the log in right there!

SC
RaySmith

Post by RaySmith »

Smithcraft wrote:Click on the button that says "Full Editor." Click on the button that says Code. The cursor will be placed in between the code blocks. Paste the log in right there!

SC
I did exactly as you said and got this message "Your message contains too few characters"?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

too MANY not too Few.

If it won't post on a forum, post it on a pastbin site and provide the url it generates.
RaySmith

Post by RaySmith »

Good idea. Here is a link via dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/474qdlal1conk ... 3-1810.txt

This is the file I tried to creatye for viewing on an ipad
This next link is the file I tried to create for viewing on Windows Media Player

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w0pehnbsc9o1 ... -53-36.txt

Hope this works at last.

Thanks in anticipation

Ray Smith
coolspot

Post by coolspot »

RaySmith wrote: I tried convering a DVD but could only convert to MP4, which my media player - Windows - does not support.
Windows Media Player can play MKVs and MP4.

You need to download the appropriate codecs: http://www.cccp-project.net

Or, you can download VLC which has all the codecs built in.
ndjamena
Enlightened

Post by ndjamena »

It looks like you're trying to read from the disc directly. Handbrake cannot remove copy protection and isn't intended to be used in that way.

All those error message suggest a bad disc, but we can't be sure until all traces of copy protection are gone.

Rip it onto a harddrive using DVDFab or MakeMKV first. They'll remove any copy protection the disc may have.