The Bittersweet release of 0.9.0...

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
dbendixen
Enlightened

The Bittersweet release of 0.9.0...

Post by dbendixen »

A new version of handbrake! How exciting! (Seriously.) If only for the speed improvements alone! But now I'm tempted to go back and re-encode EVERYTHING I've already done. I guess that won't be too bad though, it's only 50-60 DVDs..

Anyone else going to re-convert their current libraries?

VERY solid update BTW guys! I will be donating as soon as I can.
Last edited by dbendixen on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

I am, but only because my hard drive crashed :)
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I don't know, I wouldn't do it. You should consider that you might want to do it all over again when the next version is released so it might be reasonable to reencode them only every second or third release.
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

I want to do it not only for the the new features (faster/better encoding), but also for the fact that I just realized that the Advanced x264 settings I've been using may not be the most efficient... Åt least for the CRF encodes I'm doing.
MuckSavage

Post by MuckSavage »

Is there such a noticeable improvement that it would warrant spending the time? Unless you're a videophile (which may be the case) it seems like it would be a waste of time. Considering the last few weeks of putting my 100+ dvd's on en external drive, I don't think I want to do it again.
dbendixen
Enlightened

Post by dbendixen »

I wouldn't have considered it myself, but I've been reading a lot these past few days on the forums and have realized that my settings were all wrong--they worked but very inefficiently.

I'd like to consider myself a videophile, but then again DVD is nothing spectacular (pretty good picture after these 10 or so years, but pales in comparison to the hi-def formats).
Jasoco

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah, this release blew me away too. I am especially impressed with the "Slowest" version of the Deinterlace feature which I just used today to reconvert a DVD of Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters and my god, it looks amazing. I compared the two side by side with Meatwad's mouth in a "mid frame" sequence and man. I will probably do more testing, but I am actually afraid I might need to redo all my Simpsons and Futurama episodes.

I was shocked too because I actually ended up with a video file 500MB smaller (After deinterlacing) than the older one. (With interlacing)

And I love the "Turbo first pass" option on the 2-pass. I do 2-pass on all my movies now and TFP makes it easier to swallow.

So I'll probably just finish out my collection as it is with the new version, then go back and redo select movies and TV shows as time permits.