How to burn current-time/duration info during transcoding?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Sarasotaslim
Novice

How to burn current-time/duration info during transcoding?

Post by Sarasotaslim »

On Veetle, some broadcasters use a VLC technique called 'marquee text', to include the name of the content,
its current-elapsed-time and total duration, etc, etc onto each frame.

Isn't there a way to accomplish something similar, during transcoding with Handrake?

TIA... 8)

Dave
Deleted User 11865

Re: How to burn current-time/duration info during transcodin

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

No. For the time being, HandBrake has no text rendering ability whatsoever (aside from libass, which only handles ASS/SSA subtitles).
Sarasotaslim
Novice

Post by Sarasotaslim »

Thanks for the quick reply. :D
Sarasotaslim
Novice

Post by Sarasotaslim »

Rodeo wrote:No. For the time being, HandBrake has no text rendering ability whatsoever (aside from libass, which only handles ASS/SSA subtitles).
A couple of months ago, I purchased my first tablet, which is Android based...the 7-inch "Nexus-7".
One thing I use it for, is to stream (i.e. watch) movies from Veetle.com and I am also a broadcaster on Veetle.

I mention this here, because now the transcoding feature of '"on-screen" marquee-text has migrated from a nice-to-have
feature to almost a required feature for Veetle broadcasters. (This is because tablet viewers use a Veetle-provided 'app'
from Google's app-store, and that app has NO surrounding frame for meta information such as a movie's name nor
a progress-meter for a movie's duration and current time-position.)

Thus, I'd like to request that HandBrake please put the feature to support on-screen marquee text on the to-do
list to be implemented into HandBrake. :idea:

Thanks...
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

HandBrake is ultimately a video converter, not a video editor. There have been a lot of requests (including from me) that HandBrake manipulate the video/audio somehow before transcoding it, to save a step, and frankly, the developers aren't interested. You'd be better off adding any captions you want in a third-party editor.

But in all seriousness, though, why should HandBrake have to provide a workaround for something that's lacking in someone else's software? Have you considered asking Veetle to add the movie information and progress bar into their app directly?