Contributing to HandBrake

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
dKoblesky

Re: Contributing to HandBrake

Post by dKoblesky »

I love Handbrake! It is awesome software.

I am a Motion Designer and would love to help you with the skills I have - in other words, Motion Design. I can do vector icons if you want also...

Don't really do web design.....

Let me know! Great software

David Koblesky - Chicago, Illinois
Oitent

Post by Oitent »

Hello everyone,
here is a concept layout i've been working on…
As this is an audio/video tool, i believe that a darker interface is appropriate. Also, it should be integrated so the user wont need to be switching between too many tabs. They must also be able to rearrange them.
I dont know much about programming so I dont know if this is possible, but as said, this is a concept. Some of the iconography can be found at http://thenounproject.com/, which should be a great source for this sort of project.
Along with it, some suggestions…

Software
Keyboard Shortcuts
App for Mobiles
Send to Toast It
Send to Vimeo/YouTube
Send to FTP
Send Server
Scheduler
History

Website
Shared Presets (upon testing with Controlled Naming)

Forum
Allow larger images…

Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Interesting.

I don't know what being an A/V application has to do with it being dark though.

SC
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

Well, I'm tempted. I haven't done development for a few years since becoming disabled and never open source. I don't IRC and I'm not familiar with SVN but I am familar with Windows Visual Studio and C#. I've been reviewing the code the past few days looking for at a bug. If I can manage to identify the bug and the reason for it I might have a bit more confidence about helping out. :)
B323

UI concept

Post by B323 »

This thread has taken off since I last checked it, but I was working on a design that would really update the whole UI instead of just updating the icons.

Those of us who have been using Handbrake for a while are likely pretty accustomed to the way things are laid out, but I think for anyone trying to use it the first time it can be fairly confusing. I really wanted to simplify and streamline the process for newer users and for running batches. I'm not sure if this fits in with the current strategy, but hopefully it's worth sharing either way.

neilski

Post by neilski »

Rodeo wrote:
neilski wrote:Up until now I had basically imagined that HB was already able to deal with the subtitles once it "had" them in some fashion, and that the only missing piece of the puzzle was a capability to get them out of the TS file. And I'm not sure if that particular missing bit of functionality is best inserted within HB or a library (e.g. avcodec...).
HB has its own TS demuxer. For other containers, we just get the subtitles from avformat's demuxer (fairly trivial).

But yeah, getting the subs is only half the story - you need a parser (for passthrough) and a decoder (for burn-in). And you need to implement muxer support (for passthrough). And you need a decoder in order to convert to another format when direct passthrough is not possible (e.g. MP4 input with TX3G subtitles, MKV output container - subtitles need to be converted to MKV "UTF-8" text subtitles when passing them through). Or MKV UTF-8 -> MP4 TX3G. etc.
Hey... long time no answer from me ;)
I was entirely confused about this, and then to compound the problem, real life intervened, hence multi-month pause (!).

Revisiting this again now, and I have realised what may have been obvious to some - the DVB subtitles in my TS files are actually pictures of rendered text (!!! omfg whoda thunk it), rather than text strings as I had been imagining all along. Truly bizarre but hey...
Sooo.... I'm now wondering if any other containers can handle these pictures passed through (perhaps in a different format) or if I'm just totally stuffed.
What I had been hoping to achieve was an equivalent stream to what I have already - a video file with subtitles that I can switch on/off at will. If the only options are (a) ditch them or (b) burn them in, then I'll be ditching them.

Thx in advance for enlightenment :)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's possible to have soft DVB subtitles in MKV, apparently. No idea if player support is widespread, but my guess is that it isn't.

In either case, DVB subtitle support in HandBrake is on someone's TO-DO list, IIRC (not mine), but it's not a high-priority feature.