Noobie question re MPEG2

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
tonydenson

Noobie question re MPEG2

Post by tonydenson »

I assume the answer to this question is yes, but I can't explicitly see it in the documentation. Will Handbrake accept as an input source an MPEG2 file such as one created by a Dazzle or Hauppauge hardware capture device ?

Tony
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not in the current release. Yes in the upcoming one, assuming the file is in the correct format.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

@tonydenson
The answer to your question is yes/no.

Yes: HandBrake accepts MPEG-2 content, and MPEG-2 content only.
No: HandBrake only accepts this content in DvD format only (via disc, ISO or VIDEO_TS folder).

Simple answer: I have the same situation as you. I create alot of MPEG-2 content from my DvR and editor to MPEG-2 files. Since HB doesn't accept the MPEG-2 content that way I simply make a disc image out of them. Just create this image/folder on your hard drive - no menus and burning necessary. There are lots of apps that do it, but I prefer TMPGENc DvD Author (I'm in Windows). It takes my MPEG-2 content and quickly, and losslessly, creates a disc image out of them and then HB accepts my content no problem.

@sr55:
The next release will accept file formats? That's amazing! It would certainly remove one step from my workflow. I'm not the traditional "DvD ripper" as most HandBrake users... Thanks for the post!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

ts/mpg/vob are supported in the current svn as long as it's 2048byte mpeg2