Some Blu-Ray conversions look grainy?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Moviecouple

Some Blu-Ray conversions look grainy?

Post by Moviecouple »

I have started to archive my Blu-Ray collection for storage recently and noticed that on some of the converted movies, they tend to look really grainy.

I first take the Blu-Ray and use MakeMKV and rip it to an MKV file. Then use Handbrake to convert it to an M4V file. I use the AppleTV 2 setting with default Decomb and Deinterlace... As I have done with all my DVD's previous to Blu-Ray. Some conversions look real grainy, not pixelated, just grainy. Jurassic Park 1 grainy. Jurassic Park 2 not. Evil Dead grainy. Evil Dead 2 not. It is random.

I thought maybe the way older films were shot or how it was authorized into Blu-Ray or the File Sizes?? Modern movies like Captain America or Star Trek (2009) look fantastic though without an ounce of grain.

Any thoughts or ideas... or is it something I am doing wrong or oddly?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Some Blu-Ray conversions look grainy?

Post by mduell »

Forum rules
Activity Log is required for support requests. See Must Read: How To Get Questions Answered on These Forums for details

We've found, from repeated examples, users can't be trusted to accurately and completely describe their encoding settings.

Also have you watched the MKV? A lot of older movies are grainy by modern standards.
Moviecouple

Post by Moviecouple »

I really leave all my settings to stock from the handbrake program. I just use the Apple TV 2 setting, MP4 Container, Large File Size, Decomb - Default, Deinterlace - Default. Everything else is is left alone.

Been using the exact same setup for DVD's for years and figured it should be the same for Blu-Ray's.

Guess I'll have to check the MKV file before conversion with Handbrake to see if I notice the grain.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Until we see a log, as mduell pointed out, we really can't know what's going on.

SC
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

I'm willing to wager the grain you're seeing is film grain from the original source. This is certainly the case with the BD release of Jurassic Park that I've seen.

Also, the decomb and detelecine filters are unnecessary on the vast majority of Blu-ray sources; disable them for a performance boost.
Moviecouple

Post by Moviecouple »

Thanks for the info. Curious as to why it would be recommended to use Decomb and Deinterlace on DVD's, but not for Blu-Ray's? Any insight you can tell me?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Moviecouple wrote:Thanks for the info. Curious as to why it would be recommended to use Decomb and Deinterlace on DVD's, but not for Blu-Ray's? Any insight you can tell me?
There are many more interlaced DVD sources than Bluray.
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

With the exception of Bluray disks authored by the BBC who persist on using interlacing.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

...which won't work because they also insist on using VC1 video. :p
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

They're almost as bad as Sony with their Cinivia SH*T!!!!

Will never again buy a bit of Sony equipment, no matter what.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

GregiBoy wrote:They're almost as bad as Sony with their Cinivia SH*T!!!!

Will never again buy a bit of Sony equipment, no matter what.
I made that decision a couple decades ago for similar reasons. Unfortunately, there is always a new generation of suckers they can market to and thus they remain in business :roll: