presets description

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
zen649

presets description

Post by zen649 »

I hope this information is not somewhere else ......

Can someone tell me what all the new presets do in the latest build(not the public release but the latest SVN)? There are a lot of new presets. Some are easy to understand what they do but others are not. It would be helpful to know when to use which preset.

Is there a spot on the Wiki that addresses this? I could not find it.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Well, I included a brief description of all of them in the tooltips. Just hover over the preset names in the drawer.

If you have any specific questions about a particular preset, just ask.

I generally try to keep the wiki documentation aligned with the public releases rather than the latest code, to keep confusion down. This also works out well in the sense that I get to procrastinate on writing it. I'll try to get a revamped presets page up soon.

Also: see any gaping holes in the preset offerings? I'm planning on adding several more, but haven't settled on how many or for what yet.
zen649

Post by zen649 »

Thank you for your response. I tried what you suggested (floating the mouse over the presets). This gave a little bit more info. I can only ask for what I use handbrake for but maybe some other people have a similar need.

Here are the presets I would like to see. There might be some presets that already fit this need.

1. Film setting for Front Row
2. Animation for Front Row
3. Deinterlace TV show for Front Row (detecting a pattern?)

BTW I tried the QuickTime preset on a Film and it took over a day to encode ( I have a Dual G5 running at 1.8GHz). The encode ended up for nice ( and small, which is not as important for how I am using HB). Is that amount of time normal?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

If you have a slow computer, yes that's normal. Read the HandBrake Guide, and browse the forums, to make an informed decision about which settings to use to get your desired balance of speed/filesize/quality.
zen649

Post by zen649 »

I did not think my dual G5 was slow already but I guess for encoding it is.

My point about the speed was that I have been using HB with many different setting but I have never seen the fps drop to 2-3. I was just making sure there was not something set in the advance settings that might have been causing unnecessarily.

Thanks.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Well I mean, I was trying to design a preset that takes full advantage of QuickTime 7.2's h.264 features and gives you the best picture possible, working inside the QuickTime ghetto.

Nothing's stopping you from using the HB-Normal or HB-Classic presets if you're in a rush.

If you really want, I can nerf the QuickTime preset. Once we have some collapsible triangle folder thingies in the preset drawer, I'll have a lot more freedom to add subtle variations, like having 3 different presets for QuickTime that run at different speeds. But for now I'd rather keep it down to one.

There's no need for FrontRow presets, because FrontRow should play anything QuickTime can. For TV shows, use the HB-Television preset. It has deinterlacing enabled.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

zen649 wrote:I did not think my dual G5 was slow already but I guess for encoding it is.
Sorry, that sounded like I was insulting your G5 didn't it? :) It's no slower than mine, but yeah - when it comes to this kind of thing, we're well off the pace.

It's really best to read up a bit, and then do some tests to see what you're happy with doing.