How to make MKV blu-ray movies with lots of grain

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
DVDTekno

How to make MKV blu-ray movies with lots of grain

Post by DVDTekno »

I always use NORMAL preset for blu-rays, which give me very high quality and usually small files. But I've oversize problems with movies which look kind of grainy. Some examples are "Saving Private Ryan" and "Surf's Up". Is there a special preset I could make for these kind of movies, so that they will look stunning without the oversize file. SPR gave me a 21+ Gb file (17k+ kbps video). One more thing, does someone tried the movie "Running Scared" in normal preset MKV. This one gave me very bad results I've never seen in all moving scenes, very weird. Thank you in advance, Frank.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: How to make MKV blu-ray movies with lots of grain

Post by rollin_eng »

To quote the wiki:

"In particular, grainy sources tend to come out larger as they require a higher bit-rate to maintain all that extra detail in the video.
In this case, you may try turning on the "Denoise" filter or reduce the RF value a few points."
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

For grainy sources:

1) play with the denoise filter

or

2) use a lower constant quality (higher RF number)

You can also combine both.

Personally, I do the following:

1) encode at RF 19 (my preference)

2) a) if the movie (including all audio tracks and subtitles) fits on a 16 GB USB key, keep it

2) b) if it doesn't fit, re-encode using 2-pass ABR (first pass turbo) so that it fits (you can use a bitrate calculator)

Case (b) takes about as long as 2.5 CRF encodes, but it's better than trying to guess which RF will make a particular source fit.

I like to preserve film grain, so I never use denoise.
DVDTekno

Post by DVDTekno »

Thanks Rodeo for your reply, I will probably leave them just like that to preserve the original. As for SPR which has 17+ kbps, I just hope that value is not to much for my WD Live Player... I tried, a couple months ago, a MKV converted lossless... which was maybe more than 20 kbps or 25 kbps... and it was going terribly slow after a couple of minutes... (I have A QNAP)... my movies used to be at 11,000 or 12,000 kbps (before I switch from DVDFAb to Handbrake) and I had no problems reading them from the QNAP... just hope SPR at 17,000 will be ok. I didn't try it yet.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

This does not belong in the Bugs forum... moving to General.