HandBrake 0.9.6 Discussion Thead

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
rgspb

Re: HandBrake 0.9.6 Discussion Thead

Post by rgspb »

I'm having an issue with window size. My screen res is set at 1024x728, the highest this monitor will go. The Handbrake window now takes up about 98% of the screen. With the Presets slider open it runs off the screen and I'm having to slide the whole window back and forth. There doesn't seem to be a way to resize the main window either.
asckj1

Post by asckj1 »

Does the new version of Handbrake support resume of pending encoding files queue in case of a sudden PC shutdown due to power failure or a crash of Handbrake itself?
also in the previous version of 0.9.5 and also in all of the nightly builds I faced the following problem->
I wanted to downmix the audio stream from the source file from 5.1 channel to 2 channel stereo. I used the Vorbis audio encoder for this at bitrate of 48 kbps. The audio every time got encoded properly, however the last ~15 secs of audio was never encoded. So in the output file the last 15sec used to be silent. Does the new Handbrake release also take care of this particular problem?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

There's no way to recover a partially encoded file, but in most cases the queue should be salvageable.

Can't be sure about the vorbis encoding bug you're describing... helps if you report it, rather than relying on the developer's prescience.
asckj1

Post by asckj1 »

I see.
In one of the nightly builds the encoding queue could be regained if the PC shutdown due to power cuts or even Handbrake crashes for some reason. On the next startup of the handbrake GUi it used to prompt with a message "Handbrake has detected unfinished jobs. Would you like to retain them?" or something along those lines. But later when I installed a newer version this option is no longer available. Thus my query above of whether the newer version supports such a resume.

Yes I will go through how to report bugs and report with a full log of one of the encodes with the audio problem.
Patbouvry

Post by Patbouvry »

I'm very disappointed the "TARGET SIZE" has been removed. I was heavily using Handbrake specifically for that purpose.

And for those who don't mind: who talked about 700MB? MBytes are limited when you encode for a tablet. How many good quality movies can you put onto a 32Gb SD card? At 1.4 Gb each, not that many.

Now I need to find another way to calculate the correct bitrate, or find another software altogether.
I really hope you guy will find a way to put this option back, or at least give us a way to calculate the file size in a fool-proof manner.

Good luck with the continuation. I'm gone trying to find some other more complete software. :cry:

Pat
:(
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Patbouvry wrote: I really hope you guy will find a way to put this option back, or at least give us a way to calculate the file size in a fool-proof manner.
A forum search for the phrase not coming back gets about 175 hits, most of which pertain to this topic. Yes, we have said this at least that many times. I'll say it one more time just for giggles. No, it's not coming back.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Patbouvry wrote:And for those who don't mind: who talked about 700MB? MBytes are limited when you encode for a tablet. How many good quality movies can you put onto a 32Gb SD card? At 1.4 Gb each, not that many.

I really hope you guy will find a way to put this option back, or at least give us a way to calculate the file size in a fool-proof manner.
Buy a 2nd SD card or a 64Gb one.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=video+bitrate+calculator
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Just for the benefit of Handbrake users, I am making a bitrate calculator in excel that supports Mac/Windows size conventions, multiple audio streams, and works bitrate->filesize and filesize->bitrate. Just a few more tweaks and I'll post a link here to a beta, possibly as soon as spring break. It "should" be accurate within a few percent.

I did this because most free bitrate calcs are specifically for DVD/BluRay production and media sizes, or don't support multiple audio streams.

BTW, I agree that "target size" should not come back in Handbrake, and the developers have patiently given a bunch of good reasons while this will not happen. Even costly NLE suites don't have such a feature, so maybe there's a good reason . . .
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Patbouvry wrote:MBytes are limited when you encode for a tablet. How many good quality movies can you put onto a 32Gb SD card? At 1.4 Gb each, not that many.
A few points:
  1. I use constant quality encoding with an RF of 20. None of my SD movies are over 1.4GB: the largest movie I have is 1.32GB, and the smallest is just under 500MB. That's the beauty of CQ, because the files come out as big or, more commonly than you'd think, as small as they need to be to look awesome.
  2. At 1.4GB per movie, you can fit 23 movies on a tablet. 23! That's a lot! That's a day-and-a-half worth of movies. You could watch three different full-length movies each day for an entire week.
Patbouvry wrote:Now I need to find another way to calculate the correct bitrate
If you want a particular bitrate, you pick "Average Bitrate" and type your bitrate in. HandBrake still has this feature. Use it.
rgspb

Post by rgspb »

So...nobody's got any ideas regarding my post? Is this strictly a "file size" thread? I was under the assumption is was for all discussions regarding the newest version. In case no one read it, here it is again:

I'm having an issue with window size. My screen res is set at 1024x728, the highest this monitor will go. The Handbrake window now takes up about 98% of the screen. With the Presets slider open it runs off the screen and I'm having to slide the whole window back and forth. There doesn't seem to be a way to resize the main window either.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

The Handbrake window is the Handbrake window. I believe Handbrake is hardcoded to have 1024 by 620 as the minimum screen size. So, I'm not sure what you want us to comment on.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#mem

SC
rgspb

Post by rgspb »

Well the previous version fit completely on the screen, so I'm not sure why it was changed with this one. Bummer for me I guess.
mac_man_ad
Experienced

Post by mac_man_ad »

I believe changes in the Audio tab required it to be made wider. Assuming you are on a mac. Basically tho, more options = more space, and HB has lots of lovely options.
Deleted User 13735

A question for a Dev,
In the milieu of Handbrake, is a Kilobit 1024 bits or 1000 bits?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

musicvid wrote:A question for a Dev,
In the milieu of Handbrake, is a Kilobit 1024 bits or 1000 bits?
In the activity log, when it shows kbps per track, it's 1000. And I believe all the bitrates that you can specify in the UI are 1000 per kilobit. I can't think of anyplace where we may have been inconsistent in this and used 1024.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

rgspb wrote:So...nobody's got any ideas regarding my post? Is this strictly a "file size" thread? I was under the assumption is was for all discussions regarding the newest version. In case no one read it, here it is again:

This is a discussion thread, not a support thread. If you have support issues, you should open your own thread. Your plea for help is likely to just get lost in the noise in this thread.
Deleted User 13735

In the activity log, when it shows kbps per track, it's 1000. And I believe all the bitrates that you can specify in the UI are 1000 per kilobit. I can't think of anyplace where we may have been inconsistent in this and used 1024.
Yep, when I usee 1000 it's a lot closer.
2 Dope

Post by 2 Dope »

Patbouvry wrote: I really hope you guy will find a way to put this option back, or at least give us a way to calculate the file size in a fool-proof manner.
((hours*60)+minutes)*60+seconds --This gives you the duration of the movie in seconds ...

(duration*averagebitrate)/8 --This gives you the approximate size of the video in kilobytes.

Audio is harder as it depends on whether you are compressing the audio, using passthru etc. Most AC3 5.1 is 448kbps (that I have seen anyway).

(duration*audiobitrate)/8 --This gives you the approximate size of the audio in kilobytes.

Lastly...

videosize+audiosize --This will give you the approximate filesize in kilobytes. Divide it by 1024 to give you the megabyte size, and again by 1024 to give you a gigabyte size.

I don't think it would be hard to implement those calculations into the program, what you choose as your bitrate, and audio rate (whether it takes the bitrate directly from the AC3 passthru, or the bitrate you select to compress to). But anyway those are the forumlas ...
Deleted User 13735

Exactly the set of parameters I'm working with, and I've come up with a factor that roughly approximates the header size as well (~1.0015).
The situations where my calculator is not working well yet is with CBR audio (from passthrough) and VFR video. Actual file sizes are larger than I'm predicting.
I'll probably post the preliminary version for others to test before tackling the more complex scenarios.
Paul-Devon-UK

Post by Paul-Devon-UK »

From the comments I sort of understand why the developers dropped Target Size but here is why I need it, plus a couple of questions.

My wife and I use a low spec PC running XP with KMPlayer to view files on a TV that is NOT capable of 720p. Also, the old video card can not cope with files over 1Gb without loosing sound sync. Due to a severe lack of funds we are not in a position to upgrade. This is one of the few 'luxuries' we have to escape from our pitiful existence. I expect that in other parts of the world similar reasons exist. Not everyone has hi-spec equipment.

For the above reason I use HandBrake to reduce large files to around 900Mb. A small variation is NOT an issue. I have found the old version and will revert to that for now unless Q2 reveals a solution to allow me to use the current and future versions.

Questions;

1 - What is the difference between HandBrake-0.9.5-Win_GUI.exe and HandBrake-0.9.5-Win_CLI.zip?

2 - How do I calculate the parameters to achieve a sub 1Gb output.
Deleted User 13735

File size is not relevant except when taken in context with the length (time) and bitrate. They are interdependent.

1. GUI is a Graphical User Interface, while CLI is a Command Line Interface. Suggest you stick with the GUI :wink:
2. It is not just file size that is causing your sync problems, it is CPU loading from bitrate / compression, and to a lesser extent, memory. Suggest you stay away from high profile encoding, maybe even try baseline.
3. Time (seconds) x Total Average Bitrate (Mbps) x .125 = File Size (MB). That will get you close enough for your purposes.
Paul-Devon-UK

Post by Paul-Devon-UK »

Thanks musicvid.
I will keep 0.9.6 and experiment with lower Bitrates.
Assuming you are correct, it means I have been doing it wrong all this time which could explain the HUGE frustration with previous repeated failures for the same file.

They say "you learn something every day" so that is my quote done for today. Coming up to 60, I thought I knew a LOT, it just goes to show. :lol:
lessismo

Post by lessismo »

Thanx to the dev team for the new version of this fantastic tool :)
AlexAAL

Post by AlexAAL »

Other third-party bitrate calculators is very inaccurate :( :( :(
While in the HB filesize counts have always been an excellent!
Please, make the built-in HB filesize calculator or turn back this feature.
mendalon

Post by mendalon »

Has the metric for the --quality option changed with this release. It used to be different to the GUI. For example, I used -q 0.63 to encode my DVD rips which was roughly equivalent to a CRF of 20 in the GUI. Now it appears the CLI option uses the same metric. I discovered this because the script I wrote to rip my DVDs suddenly started churning out MKVs that were about 10x as large. Not a complaint, just trying to verify the change so I can update my script.

P.S. Good riddance to the output file size option. Constant quality gives you the best bang for buck. Digital music has traditionally been constant quality forever. You don't complain about the fact that all the songs you download from iTunes aren't the same size, do you? How could anyone seriously care about this option? :P