Next stable release

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
tjajab

Next stable release

Post by tjajab »

Hi,

I've really tried to find some information about this topic. I checked the FAQ, and I read the information regarding how to get support, even though it is not exactly what I want. As a side note, quite many links in that text are broken. I didn't find anything that answered my question, so: When (roughly) is the next stable version going to be released?

I foresee a couple of answers, so I reply to them already. I understand that the next release will come "when it is ready", so what I really mean is of course when, again roughly, will the next release be ready? I also understand that I need not care about the next stable release, I could as well use the development release. Well, if there were no conceptual difference, couldn't as well the current development release be released as a stable version right now?

I am really thankful and impressed with your work on HandBrake, but I feel that there is a risk of losing a lot of potential users by signalling to visitors on the home page that nothing happens. It is easy to see (on the forums, in the code, etc) that things are indeed happening, but many people looking for a good video encoding software will probably turn around before they see that. So what, one could argue, but I believe that more users will bring a better product in the end, as there will be more potential bug reports, feature requests, and general interest in the product. Of course I understand it is a matter of time, too. But also a matter of priority.

So, I vote for at least a quarterly update of the main page, and/or shorter delay between stable releases.

I read somewhere that the next stable version will be released "november-ish", which is one of the reasons I ask.

Best regards,
Andreas
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Next stable release

Post by s55 »

Historyically releases have been yearly +/- a few months.

This is open source, there is no schedule for releases as it's down to when people want to send some of their free time on it.
That said, the core branch is in code freeze right now, so "soonish" would be nice for a release date.
gminnick

Post by gminnick »

I am anxiously awaiting too, but also understand work is being done on free time. I have been checking this link from time to time and if I read it right, there are 5 active tickets to be resolved for the 0.9.6. But I could be wrong in how that is read. And I guess another ticket could show up. I am on hold making anymore encodes until the next stable is out since they are in a freeze. It is nice to see how many people use this tool and wait for new versions. Kudos to the development team!!!

https://trac.handbrake.fr/roadmap
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We don't really use tickets so they don't indicate any kind of progress.
gminnick

Post by gminnick »

Thanks for the reply on that. That is one less thing I have to check on then each day. lol. I will just wait for the main page to display 0.9.6 is available for download :). I am still deciding if things are far enough along to hold off on anymore encodes. But the nightly builds have been doing well for me.
graysky
Experienced

Post by graysky »

@op - why not build from svn?