DTS 5.0 Audio

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
fullerflyer
Novice

DTS 5.0 Audio

Post by fullerflyer »

I'm encoding The Cider House Rules Blu-ray and this is the first time I've come across a source audio of DTS 5.0. In trying to use the Apple TV 2 preset it is not wanting to populate the surround sound audio track for me other than a 224kbs setting.

Has anyone dealt with this and what's the right/best way to manually set the surround sound audio track to be sure I'm getting 5 tracks vs. it creating a second stereo track?

If it matters I'm using the Mac version 9.5 of Handbrake.

Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Re: DTS 5.0 Audio

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake doesn't do 5-channel audio encoding, and since the AppleTV doesn't support DTS, you can't use DTS passthrough.

Unfortunately, the best you can do is Dolby Pro Logic 2 (5 channels matrix-encoded into 2 actual channels).

If you're familiar with building from source, there's a patch available that adds 5.0 encoding: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21735&p=101405#p101405
fullerflyer
Novice

Post by fullerflyer »

Thanks, Rodeo! I'll give it a whirl!
fullerflyer
Novice

Post by fullerflyer »

Rodeo,

May I be so bold as to ask for a bit of assistance. I realize the rules indicate to not ask for help on compiling, etc... That said I feel I'm very close and with a bit of direction will be underway.

I am on a Mac, have downloaded XCode, have downloaded and compiled yasm, and I've completed the nightly build.

I'm simply trying to learn how to utilize a "patch" as you've directed me.

Any help you're willing to offer is much appreciated.
mac_man_ad
Experienced

Post by mac_man_ad »

put the patch in the handbrake folder, go there in the Terminal, and type

Code: Select all

patch -p0 < patchname
edit: and then re-compile HB of course
Deleted User 11865

Make sure you're using the latest version of the patch (currently paste 2707), and unless you're willing to update it, make sure that you're applying the patch to the corresponding svn revision (4216) - I'm not sure it will apply cleanly to the latest svn.

From the "hb-trunk" directory (i.e. whatever's above libhb, macosx etc.):

svn update -r 4216
Revisions prior to svn 4299 will not build under Lion, but this is easily fixed:

svn diff -r 4298:4299 | patch -p0
If you're building under Leopard or Snow Leopard, the step above is unnecessary.

And then apply the patch as per mac_man_ad's instructions.
fullerflyer
Novice

Post by fullerflyer »

Thanks, Rodeo. I'll put your directions to test and let you know what comes of it.
Deleted User 11865

FWIW, I updated the patch to apply to the latest svn revision (see paste 2834).